Respected Contributor

Any reccomendations for a good one.  I have 2 dogs that shed and would like to turn it on in one room or another every day.  I have carpet, laminate and tile.  Any suggestions for a good one?

Trusted Contributor

I have never owned one but my daughter did and they also had 2 dogs.  She said that pet hair clogged up her robotic vacuum too fast.  She said it did well in places where there is only dust and crumbs!

I don't remember what brand hers was!

Honored Contributor

I don't think they work well for pet hair.  I used to have one, and the dust cup is teeny tiny.  You have to completely prepare the room to get things it could get stuck on out of the way before you run them.  I just wasn't happy with mine at all.  It definitely didn't work for pet hair.  I had a Roomba.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

I've had a Roomba for about 3 years and absolutely love it!  However, I don't have pets.  In my experience, the dust cup is quite large enough when you do 1 - 2 rooms at a time. I think once you run it a time or two, you'll have a handle on the major pet hair and won't have any trouble with it getting too full after that.  The rotating brush does a great job of gathering hair. It's amazing how much dust and hair the Roomba collects.  It transitions from carpet to hard floor easily. If mine ever breaks, I'm definitely getting another - I don't want to be without it!  

Honored Contributor

I had Collies when I had a Roomba.  I spent more time cleaning brushes than it did cleaning floors.  I found it a better use of my time to use my Dyson.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I've been looking at the Roomba 761 and I might splurge.

It has 90 minutes of run time and no Wifi or dang apps to mess with. You can schedule run time without the added cost. 

While I have pets I want it to clean under beds. I have a king and too bothersome to move to clean under.  I do have to measure height as I want to make sure there's enough clearance.  

My living room tables all have a lower shelf so while this Roomba won't travel under, no worries about lamp cords, either.

Respected Contributor

YES!  I have 2 Shark ION Robots.  One upstairs where the bedrooms are with carpet and one on main floor with hardwood flooring.  Love them!  It does a great job, gets into all the nooks and crannies like under fridge and tight places in the kitchen.  Plan on getting another at some point for the basement.  Got ours at Target but at the time that they offered a gift card with purchase. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet.  Another consideration; after 1 - 2 years of use the battery will no longer recharge and you must purchase a new one.  I've heard they're very pricey so you might want to check that before buying.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Thanks for your responses.  I knew it sounded to good to be true.  I have always just hated vacuuming and thought it would be so nice to close my bedroom door and turn it on while I drink my morning coffee or when I go out somewhere I could turn it on and come home to a freshly vacuumed room.  Oh well I guess I really want a maid but was looking for next best thing.

Regular Contributor

I have had the Shark Ion robot for about 6 months.  Love it- in fact I have buried my Shark upright in a closet and haven't seen it for months!  I have 3 cats and a dog. Have hardwood, tile, area rugs and it transitions from one to another seamlessly.  You can program it to turn on every day at a certain time or I just turn it on every evening as I clean up the kitchen after dinner.  Runs for about an hour and cleans five rooms.  It goes back to dock on its own when it is done or you can use remote to send it back earlier.  Only thing it does not like is power cords and clothes left on the floor.  I have retooled my cords so they are not a problem- I am still working on my husband!