Super Contributor

We live outside of Seattle and have had solar panels for 8 years next week.  We don't have a single complaint.  We pay almost $8/month to stay connected to the grid, but other than that we haven't had an electric bill since we got them. 

We power a ductless heat pump and an electric car, plus appliances and lighting. 

As a result, we have not been impacted by the increased oil and gasoline prices this year.  

However, this works because our utility does net metering.  We generate a ton of electricity during the summer.  We get a 'credit' for all the electricity we generate but do not use.  In the winter, we 'withdraw' the credits during all the dark and dreary days where the solar panels don't generate hardly any power.  

As to expense, as others have said, some areas offer great rebates.   

As to maintenance, they did stop working once and I had to have someone come out and fix something electrical, but since the company had a 10 year warranty it didn't cost anything.  

Honored Contributor

Three words:  Softball sized hail. 

Valued Contributor

You might have to hire someone to install them for you, but even if you have to beg, borrow, or steal the money, DO IT. I won't lie to you, they weren't cheap--$20,000--but I'm do glad we were able to come up with they money.

Sometimes there are governmen programs to help you with the cost, too.

My DH had solar panels installed on our roof and it wasn't cheap but we were able to take a tax deduction for the cost, and the local government had a grant too.

Also, you'll be shocked at what happens to your power bill; even with heat waves or cold weather, the electricity you generate from you solar panels will be "sold" back to the utility and you'll get credit for.

That's what I mean about your electric bill going down. Say you generate 100 units of electricity but you use only 75. it. The amount you didn't use is what goes back to the ultility and they pay you for it in the form of very small electric usage.

Clear as mud????Man Tongue Manybe someone else can explain it better.