Valued Contributor

I've been shopping around for a new sofa and notice a lot have down on the seat cushions also.  Never had one with down, could someone give me their impression of one with down and does the down go flat.  I do like a good support cushion so could do without it.

Valued Contributor

I've never had any issues with down cushions. I've had my sofas for year and did not experience any flattening. You can fluff the cushions.

Respected Contributor

We bought a goose down sofa and chair six years ago. They did really well for a couple of years then they started losing their shape and would not fluff back up. Got rid of them and got a new couch and chair and am so happy to not have to deal with the down anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

@kismet , my BIL has a down sofa.  It was expensive.  It was also very hard to get out of.  After a few years, not looking so good.  LM

Respected Contributor

Our living room sofa has down cushions and has held up very well over the 30+ years we’ve had it. We sit on it everyday. We had it reupholstered once and are planning to reupholster it again. Once in awhile a feather will come through the fabric, but that’s rare. I rotate the cushions occasionally, but that’s all I need to do for them to maintain their shape. 

Honored Contributor

Down does tend to be expensive, but considered a "luxury" fill.  Have you had a chance, @kismet, to sit on a variety of cushions, including down, to get a good feel for what you like?

The only down we have is in two throw pillows, and I like the feel of them.  Surprisingly on ours, we have feathers coming through the fabric quite regularly!  There is some "sag" with them, but as others say, they can be fluffed up.

I find our two "non-down" couches to be quite comfortable and stand up well over time-- for our casual purposes, I wouldn't switch to down fill.  So I think it's very personal as to what you like... 

Respected Contributor

I have a nice sofa made in the US.  King Hickory is the maker.  Down cushions and they are great.  I got the best line they have due to the down and its been 2 years and the sofa is holding up beautifully.

Valued Contributor

I did sit on several sofas with nice firm cushions.  I also tried a few down but I prefer the firm cushions.  The longer sofas 99" and over have the down and I do want a longer sofa.  My husband sits and watches tv all day and wonder what a down cushion would look like.  Not many sofas made in the US today.

Esteemed Contributor

I just replaced my sofas last month. I wanted a slightly smaller scale of sofas for my living room than the larer set that I had. I found a great deal at Pier 1 and was very pleased with it. Now, we like a firmer cushion but they have a wide variety on their wevsite.  It also was budget friendly.

LovSac has a large variety of furniture and they are very comfy. I have an overstuffed chair that converts to a bed (if needed). This might be the compromise between down and regular cushion.  Ours has lasted for years and years.  

Honored Contributor

@kismet wrote:

I did sit on several sofas with nice firm cushions.  I also tried a few down but I prefer the firm cushions.  The longer sofas 99" and over have the down and I do want a longer sofa.  My husband sits and watches tv all day and wonder what a down cushion would look like.  Not many sofas made in the US today.

@kismet. Just purchased Lazy Boy furniture made in the US.