Honored Contributor

Re: So, should we just all lie?

@ThinkOutsidetheBox wrote:

As someone who was considering my old, awful, damaged oak veneer cabinets gray because I hate white...I have to thank all of you. I had no idea that gray could be such a problematic color. I have learned a great deal from everyone sharing their experiences with choosing gray as a decorating color. These forums are truly a gem sometimes to me. Perhaps I shall just paint mine purple and have done with it. Cat Tongue

l love to wear grey, but I think it's a very cold color to paint and decorate with , 

Valued Contributor

If she KNOWS its gray then why is she asking everyone what color it looks like? 

Im a straight forward kinda person tho, so it depends. If EVERYONE see's it as purple then you all may wanna tell her only IF she asks about it. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Respected Contributor

Maybe she likes the color.

No one’s opinion matters, it’s her house.

If she likes it, she’ll keep the color, if not she will change it.

I really  don’t care too much what other people think about stuff in my home.

They don’t live here, I do. My house, my likes,

And, I don’t much comment on someone else’s house either, not unless I really like something a whole lot.

I am always thinking to myself what I would do in someone’s home though. I am pretty good at tearing just about anywhere apart 😂!

To each her/his own. Their home. Their style. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

DD412B12-2A5D-4162-B460-2B485DB92114.jpegAs you can see Sherwin Williams Grayish had lavender undertones.

Honored Contributor

11FB8BEC-56DD-4668-AE0B-8E135E4A68F8.jpeg

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Thou shalt NOT lie! 

Respected Contributor

@DesertPony What a love your father must have been; a very wise man.  I'm going to try to memorize his saying.

Honored Contributor

I don’t know why honesty is so critical if it hurts the feelings of your friend.She chose the color and just had it done so I would think she likes it and that’s what is important.I could enjoy my friends company and hospitality even if the paint was peeling off the walls...it isn’t the house it’s the people.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

A color can look different from a paint chip to being all over a wall.  It will seem one shade darker when presented in a large amount. That's likely part of what's going on with her perception of color.

Many people can't "see" underlying colors and have problems in decorating.  

I wouldn't interfere with other friend's perceptions of the color, rather, just complement her on her hard work.

----------

Very diplomatic! I can't see underlying colors and I'm positive my bathroom is blue when I wanted green. Others see green, and still others see aqua. Mine would be an inexpensive fix, but it really isn't a big deal. Now in a kitchen, I'd correct my mistake.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a pair of capris that were listed as grey in the color choices but they look slate blue to me. I thought I was painting one of my kitchen walls  mocha and depending on the light it has no contrast to the other walls or looks slightly rose brown. I just don't spend time second guessing myself. All I know for sure is when it comes to the color grey, I do not want to eat any food that color.