Respected Contributor

Friends of ours recently redecorated and she painted the kitchen and eat-in area gray.  Unfortunately with the light, the cabinets, etc the gray looks anywhere from light purple to a dusty lilac.  When you put gray accessories with in the room it only makes the wall color MORE purple.

It is not bad if you like that color, however our friend is very offended that everyone comments on her purple kitchen.  She corrects everyone with a little sass and tells them it is 'XYZ gray".  

We are having a little brunch there tomorrow before an event and a friend suggested we tell the people that have not been there yet and those who have to simple say "Yes the gray is lovely." As our friend is now asking EVERYONE "what color is this paint?"

She is determined for someone/anyone to agree it is gray or at least looks gray.

Little white lie in order?

Valued Contributor

Re: So, should we just all lie?

Sure.  Why not?  You’re friend doesn’t want the truth anyways.   

Respected Contributor

I think in general gray CAN look lilac and vice versa.  I recently got a pedicure with lilac polish and it definitely looked gray - couldn't wait to change it.

Tell her the truth - that gray CAN look lilac or in her case purple.  Tell her how pretty it is.  

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl 

I would suggest that she take pictures- first thing in the morning, at lunch, and again at dinner and see if the color "changes."

She may not see it, or it may be like the famous social media dress, where people saw one color or another.

Honored Contributor

If your friend likes the color then it doesn’t matter if it appears purple to others..it’s grey in her eyes.I think we all see color differently.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Of course the decent thing to do is just say the paint color is lovely.  She'll figure it out on her own soon enough.  What I've learned about paint is that all colors have another color undertone.  White, for example, can have green, yellow or beige undertones just to name a few.  Unfortunately, the way a color looks on a little chip or on someone else's wall can be deceiving.  That's why it's good to buy samples and paint a few areas before deciding on a complete redo.  I painted my bedroom five times before I finally found the right color for the room, light, shadows, etc.  My kitchen had four colors in light and dark shades.  The sample cans are worth purchasing to avoid making big mistakes.  I had to learn the hard way.  Good luck to your friend.  IF one of you is very close to her and she asks for an honest opinion, then yes, she should be told the truth.  Let us know what happens. 

Respected Contributor

No.   But you can clue them in that the color is gray and it seems homeowner is a little sensitive that most people see it reflects as purple.  Leave it up to them.  Grays are tough.  

Respected Contributor

I've never understood why people feel the need to tell - or imply - to someone that her color choices - in home decor, or dress -  are either not what the critic would choose or off for some other reason.

I have bold colors in some rooms in my home.  Some love it (My husband and I are two - and I've gotten great complements) and some don't - and have felt the need to tell me that neutrals are always better choices.  

The OP's tone - "if you like that color" and "should we lie" clearly indicates that she disapproves of the color - whatever it is - light purple, lilac or even gray.  So it is no wonder that her friend was "offended."

I'd suggest that if the color is so offputting as to spoil appetites, that those who feel that way decline the brunch.  Otherwise I'd find a way to graciously complement the new paint.

Respected Contributor

No.  I like to hear the truth.  If it looks purple, it looks purple.  That isn't good or bad.  Just what it looks like.  

If she asks, the person asked should tell the truth as to what color it looks like to them.  No need to comment if not asked.  But, no one should lie.  Sounds like an Emperor's New Clothes situation!  LOL

The ony thing that matters is if the owner likes it.  If she's not sure about it, and looking for opinions, she should want honest opinions.  If everyone tells her a lie, it defeats the purpose and isn't doing her any favors.   

Super Contributor

I'm sure the home owner knows.....I'd lie and say its lovely and thank you for hosting ! If pressed then I may say the decor may enchance the purple undertones or some such thing. It happened to my inlaws...they repainted the hallway to a light pink and it took darker tones bc of the burgandy carpet....well MIL did way she was tired of beige !!!!!lol