Honored Contributor

Re: Shelves in Front of Windows

I put shelves in front of the window in the kitchen. It's a western exposure (I'm on the 10th Floor) and gets very bright afternoon sun.

Theshelves go half way up from the sill .... and there's a sheer red curtain above to the top of the window.

I have various  clear and colored glass bowls, vases, etc. displayed.

It's really very pretty in the afternoon when the sun shines through the kitchen.

Respected Contributor

It looks like the purpose of the glass shelving was to keep the units transparent and open to the water view. People often decorate their homes with artifacts they love, and perhaps that's the case here. I think it's fine.

Respected Contributor

It looks like the purpose of the glass shelving was to keep the units transparent and open to the water view. People often decorate their homes with artifacts they love. I'm fine with the room

Honored Contributor

I agree, the room has a lot of potential. It's a nice setting and the room, as is, has a certain appeal, but the shelves don't add anything and neither does the ceiling fixture.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

It's possible the entire house has a water view and for the sake of conversation a sitting room was created so people could face one another and talk.

My parents home has a beautiful water view and in the livingroom the furniture is turned so that no one can really see the water.  There are other sitting and dining areas that the seating faces out, but not in the living room.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 I agree - if they used the shelves for live plants then it would make sense.  How about if they put some crystal on those shelves and then there could be prisms and rainbows all around the room!

I really like the room, btw.  I would probably replace that particular chandelier if given the choice, but I could live with it.

Respected Contributor

The shelves are taking away from the outside views. They also look very busy and sort of make you dizzy looking at them.

Trusted Contributor

Not a fan of this room at all... the shelves, the spiky thing, the furnishings.  It could be really stunning with those windows and view.  Pity.  As they say, there's no accounting for taste.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think I like anything in that room....

Honored Contributor

Remove the shelving and the 2 black uncomfortable backless chairs and I love this room and the view.