Respected Contributor

Re: Selling a Home

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet

About getting a home inspection  before selling your home.....

Be aware that, in most states and I'll bet all of them, you will then be obligated  to disclose any little defect or problem detected by that inspection, because now you have knowledge of the problem.  Just as a purchaser should be required to show his home inspecton report to the seller, the seller should do the same if he has a report.

Sometimes, ignorance is not a bad thing. 

Also remember that purchase contracts usually only call for listed items that convey, such as appliances and major systems, to be in "working order" at the time of settlement.  I'm sure most homeowners are qualified and aware enough to know whether their oven, furnace, etc. are in "working order".  I personally don't need to hire a professional inspector to tell me that.  If they're not in working order, I'd have repaired or replaced  them already.

There is always the option, too, to sell a particular item or the whole house in "as is" condition and price the property accordingly. 

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet

Overpricing a house is NOT something competent, experienced  Realtors want to do.  What good does it do to "win" the listing with a higher price when the property doesn't sell? 

Agents who do that don't know any better most of the time, and they don't last in the business because they can't make a decent living at it.

Most of the pressure for higher prices comes from the seller.  And of course, the seller will later tell all his friends that his house didn't sell because "the agent overpriced his house".  What most often happens with a seller who wants an unrealistic price is that his agent will agree to "try" the price for a limited time, with advice NOT to keep it over-the-market for very long. 

It's not always the agent who sets the price.

Respected Contributor

novamc:  thanks for the Washington Post link, I guess I could of written that article myself but I would left out the part that seller's actually stay in the house when potential buyers come in...that's strange but I guess it happens.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling

I  "fired" some clients once and gave them back the listing on their house, because they made it absolutely impossible to show the house to  purchasers in a practical and comfortable way.

I held an open house with the wife sitting in the kitchen and the husband sitting in a rocking chair in a back bedroom with their young son.  They would NOT leave the house for any showing at all.......nor would they speak to each other inside the house, as a divorce was pending.  I had sold them the house in the first place, and I suspected that because the wife's father had funded a large part of the down payment, the husband felt diminished by this and decided to have no helpful role in  trying to sell the place.  However, his wife was just as stubborn.

On top of this "seller intrusivenes" whenever the home was shown, the stairway was always blocked off by a baby gate, all kitchen and bathroom cabinets had childproof latches, and every closet door had childproof doorknobs, even the linen closet in the hallway.  (How dangerous are sheets and towels, anyway?)

Honored Contributor

@novamc1

I got a home inspection on the last house I sold before listing it.  I fixed all the small items but if they had found something major like foundation or roof I would have lowered the price and sold as is.  

I hate people going through house so I always move out before selling (I also have a pets which makes things difficult).  I usually have the inside of house (including insides of closets and cabinets) painted a neutral color because I love color but the buyers may not. That is as much "remodeling" as I will do.  I have had buyers ask for a new kitchen floor or new carpet - some of the requests are unbelievable.  

I have always sold at asking price or above. 

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne

Sounds like you did everything possible to generate a successful home sale, and obviously it worked.  Congrats!

Esteemed Contributor
I think if you want to sell your house for what your asking a few things need to be done. There should be no projects left undone so it doesn't look unfinished. Carpeting and flooring should be in good shape. Any major repairs should be done. If you know say the roof will need fixed in a year or so fix it. And a fresh coat of paint in a neutral color won't hurt. You don't have to do tons but little things can make a huge difference to get that quick sale make it look nice.