Respected Contributor

Re: Selling a Home

[ Edited ]

Oh, so now Realtors are not only greedy do-nothings.....they have no conscience, as well.  

Okey dokey......and no, I'm no longer a Realtor who actively sells and belongs to Realtor organizations and the Multiple Listing System, but I am a licensed sole-proprietor real estate broker, having long since progressed beyond the salesperson and associate broker license designations.   I was a Realtor for a long time.

FYI, salespeople who have no conscience do not enjoy long, lucrative careers, probably because their colleagues and clients get fed up with them, and they don't get recomended to their clients' friends and neighbors to keep business coming in.

I'm sorry your experience with the industry has been less than optimal.

Respected Contributor

Op says realtor is just interested in the almighty dollar.  But OP, note that's what you're interested in, too, else you wouldn't have minded the add-ons the buyers' were requesting.  

Yes, all parties have to watch out for their own best interests.  That's what negotiation is all about.  Usually, none of the parties gets everything they want.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have bought 5 homes and sold 4, in a couple different states. In the sold category, only 1 did I not get my asking price and that 1 I accepted a lower offer (not tremendously lower, but not my asking price) to get it over with as it was a cog in getting a divorce. I keep my house in a reasonable condition (NOT saying the OP does not, btw), and the 3rd home I sold was the only one I had to make any kind of repairs to, an under the house sump pump had quit working and I was not aware of that issue at the time so I did replace that). I am always very clear with the realtor what I am asking and what I expect of them, they have also been clear with me on what my responsibilities are in the process. I had one lowball offer on the 4th home I sold, I just laughed and told my realtor, no way, next? To me the worst part is having to keep my house spotless while it is on the market, lol. Hope for anyone selling, or buying a home, that it can be a short and beneficial transaction. Just keep in mind...this too shall pass.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

This post was just to share my frustration, it helps just writing about it and having others share what they have encountered.

No one is pointing any fingers, there are good and there are bad like any CS department stores employees.  Unfortunately, I thought I had a "good" one but I now realized I have someone that I believe that can be scored "fair".  I just wished I would of said "I'll get back to you" instead of being pressured to act immediately.

All is good, we all learn and when we stop learning is our final day.

Respected Contributor

We are buyers. I don't trust our agent at all but what is the use in changing. 

We looked at a house that we liked but felt like it was going to need more work than the price allowed. We are searching in a very hot market so when the house did not sell for several weeks and had a least 2 price decreases we asked our realtor, why?

She said hard to say could be blah, or blah. We asked to see the disclosure. Under the topic of flood zone the seller checked NO. Upon further investigation the house is in a flood zone based on US Army Corp of Engineer Report. When we asked our realtor about this she said "well, I think the owners in this area got a second opinion and it is just barely in a flood zone."

She does not lie. She just avoids telling the truth. 

Respected Contributor

Here's a  timely story for this thread.  It appears in today's Washington Post real estate section.  It's titled in this morning's print edition as:

"How To Get On A Seller's or Buyer's Last Nerve"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/realestate/home-buyers-and-sellers-can-drive-one-another-up-the-wall/...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nomless wrote:

Op says realtor is just interested in the almighty dollar.  But OP, note that's what you're interested in, too, else you wouldn't have minded the add-ons the buyers' were requesting.  

Yes, all parties have to watch out for their own best interests.  That's what negotiation is all about.  Usually, none of the parties gets everything they want.

The OP does not seem to understand that the more money the seller gets for the house the more the realtor makes as it is a %. The OP seems to feel her house is worth a lot more than the realtor does. - whatever -  no one can force her to sell for less than she wants to and no one can force you to do repairs you don't want to or reduce the price. In the end , it is the sellers decision. She is free to say NO and look for a new buyer. Claiming the realtor is forceing her to sign papers she doesn't want to  sign is just childish and ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

The OP feels her house is worth more............where did I leave you that impression?

Also, I didn't go back to read but I didn't say "force" I just said that I should of taken a back seat instead of being rushed by the realtor.

I'm sorry you feel that I acted "childish" but maybe just maybe my lack of knowledge on this whole process can be summed up with that descriptive word.  

I can't believe something so innocent as something I and I mean that I encountered can be critized.   These boards are tough....and many wonder why so many are gone off of here...hum.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Just Bling

I agree that there is no need to discuss this subject or any other with rudeness and name-calling, but consider the source, who regularly tells other people off in not-always-constructive ways.

And by the way, the often-seen claim that  real estate agents want to jack up house prices to increase their commissions is total baloney.  Do the math.........adding another couple thousand, five thousand, ten thousand to a list price doesn't increase a commission by any significant amount.  The important thing--and most profitable thing--is to have a satisfied client who will send thousands of dollars in business just through referrals and recommendations alone.

Esteemed Contributor

Unethical,realtors have also been known to deliberately overprice your house so that they get the listing.  Of course it is overpriced so it doesn't sell and then the badgering starts for you to lower the price down to what it should have listed for to start with but meanwhile they have snagged the listing.  There are so many pitfalls that a seller needs to really stay on the ball.  Use realtor.com to look at recently sold homes in your zip code for comparison purposes.  Do not give the listing to a agent who,wants to list it at 20,000 over what any other realtor says it should be listed at.  On the other hand don't list with a agent who wants to price it at. $20,000 less than other agents either.  Interview at least 4 agents.  Consider hiring your own home inspector to do a inspection before putting up,for sale.  That way you know what the.problems might be going in.