Honored Contributor

How about a quick trip to Gstaad, Switzerland?  Any would-be Heidis or Peters here?

melanie-acevedo_michelle-nussbaumer-11-e1418061182838.jpg

I'm guessing this is probably one of the most famous and photographed chalets in Switzerland, (next to the Balthus family home, maybe.)   So you might have seen it already.

It dates to 1739!   Michelle Nussbaumer is the lucky American (with Swiss family ties) who owns it, and has filled it with her colorful, global, maximalist style.

BN-QD024_NUSSBA_M_20161005142554.jpg

Here it is in summer, so those of us in "snow-shock" can get a little break, ha.

michelle-nussbaumer-gstaad-chalet.jpeg

Aren't they sweet?

Gstaad.png

michelle-nussbaumer-veranda-swiss-chalet.jpg

A section of the kitchen:

Michelle-Nussbaumer-Gstaad-kitchen.jpg

Peeking into the dining room:

Michelle-Nussbaumer-in-Veranda-.jpg

Gsstad.jpg

melanie-acevedo_michelle-nussbaumer-21-e1418061199747.jpg

Snug bedroom.  When the chalet was built in the 18th century, ceilings were kept low so that rooms could be kept warm and cozy.

Michelle-Nussbaumer-Gstaad-bedroom-in-Veranda.jpg

Surrounding the chalet.

Michelle-Nussbaumers-Gstaad.jpg

veranda-michelle-nussbaumer-swiss-chalet.jpg

There's something about Swiss chalets.  This one feels like a fairy tale.  I can imagine that even when the clouds press in, and snow and ice, it provides a bright and welcome refuge from cold reality.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

Wonderful!  Takes me back to my youth reading and re-reading Heidi and longing to be there.  Such a beautiful chalet and furnishings too.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell,

This is so warm and cheery!

I love it!

And I love the friendly visitor too! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Love it......scenery is beautiful.  Would love to see more of the inside.  It looks big.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Hundred of year ago (it seems like that) I went cross-country skiing at a farm in the Massachusetts Bershires where the family goat gallop into the lodge and land at one of the tables where we were having hot chocolate.  We were told not to leave the door open and to hurry in so the goat would not have a chance to come in.  

Honored Contributor

I have never been to Switzerland, but I can quickly pack my bags and grab my passport.  It's a place I'd love to visit.

Honored Contributor

I love it!

Would love to have a somewhat 'tiny (more or less) house' decorated in that similar style.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

The coutryside is stunning and so inviting....love the wood interior and especially the cow in the door!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SWISS CHALET, FOR REAL

[ Edited ]

What a beautiful place.  I have never been there, but I enjoy watching Rick Steves’ amazing travel documentaries.  He has introduced “Rick Steves’ Europe - The 20-year Anthology” DVD set.  I bought the set but have yet to watch.  I did see his show on Switzerland on TV, and it was spectacular.

For those of us who don’t want to travel now, watching Rick is  as close as we can get for a while.

And I love the kitchen set!  I would take it in a heartbeat for my kitchen.

Honored Contributor

Love watching Rick Steves' travels. 

I've learned so very, very much about World history through architecture and artwork.

Feels as though I'm walking along with him, learning about 'this and that'.  

Wish they would offer episodes to middle and high school students.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).