Esteemed Contributor

Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR NEW WASHING MACHINE PLEASE

I too, am in the pre 2018 models of Speed Queen.  I say a prayer over my washer and dryer every time I use them.  Cannot say enough good about this washer and dryer.  The other machines may be energy efficient but if they don't last any longer than a few years, our dump sites will be full of washers and dryers in no time, which will defeat the purpose of energy efficiency, at least in my mind.  My old "top of the line" Whirlpool Cabrio only lasted 7 years.  My first washer and dryer (don't remember the model) was purchased from my aunt and uncle as they moved to a retirement village.  They were 18 years old when we purchased them and lasted almost 10 more years past that.  I am praying our Speed Queen purchase will be our last as far as washer/dryers are concerned.  But if I happen upon an set of Speed Queen washer and dryers at a garage sale or estate sale, I may purchase "just in case!"   

Honored Contributor

I knew I could count on you ladies to have a washer thread here.  My GE HE washer is dying and I'm at the point where I'm thinking replacement would make more sense than repair.  Never liked the thing.  Last week, when I was sitting in the only laundromat left on our side of the city, I was more impressed with the Whirlpool machine I put $1.75 into.

I washed my clothes at the laundromat and used my dryer at home and they looked better than they have in years.  These "programmed-to-die-in-five-years (or less)" appliances are wearing me down.

It makes no sense to invest in a great product because our hard water here is a death sentence anyway. Woman Tongue

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I too, am in the pre 2018 models of Speed Queen.  I say a prayer over my washer and dryer every time I use them.  Cannot say enough good about this washer and dryer.  The other machines may be energy efficient but if they don't last any longer than a few years, our dump sites will be full of washers and dryers in no time, which will defeat the purpose of energy efficiency, at least in my mind.  My old "top of the line" Whirlpool Cabrio only lasted 7 years.  My first washer and dryer (don't remember the model) was purchased from my aunt and uncle as they moved to a retirement village.  They were 18 years old when we purchased them and lasted almost 10 more years past that.  I am praying our Speed Queen purchase will be our last as far as washer/dryers are concerned.  But if I happen upon an set of Speed Queen washer and dryers at a garage sale or estate sale, I may purchase "just in case!"   

7 years for a washer is actually good now.  Washers are not meant to last long.  It's a sad fact.  If I can get 7 years out of this, I'll be happy.  We may move to a warmer state in 5 to 7 years so I'll just hope that the Speed Queens are better when we decide to buy a new home.  Usually homeowners want the washer and dryer from my previous experience so I'd more than likely be leaving this set.  IT wasn't cheap either.  I bought both a new washer and dryer as I wanted them to match.  I spent $1550 on both.  That's ridiculous. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@winamac1  I purchased a set of LG f from Costco.  I saved at least $200 due to the free delivery, free disposal of old appliances and free hook-up.  

They are great, very large and I can wash anything now without having to over fill the washer.  The only downside is if you aren't very tall as the washer is very deep.

Be sure to check on available rebates.  I ended up getting a $50 rebate from the gas company and $85 from my water company.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@winamac1  I purchased a set of LG f from Costco.  I saved at least $200 due to the free delivery, free disposal of old appliances and free hook-up.  

They are great, very large and I can wash anything now without having to over fill the washer.  The only downside is if you aren't very tall as the washer is very deep.

Be sure to check on available rebates.  I ended up getting a $50 rebate from the gas company and $85 from my water company.

Thanks!

I probably should have checked Costco.  I have 2 weeks to return this so I may do that.  Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@sissel

It's good for me to stretch!!!!Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

wrote:

7 years for a washer is actually good now.  Washers are not meant to last long.  It's a sad fact.  If I can get 7 years out of this, I'll be happy.  We may move to a warmer state in 5 to 7 years so I'll just hope that the Speed Queens are better when we decide to buy a new home.  Usually homeowners want the washer and dryer from my previous experience so I'd more than likely be leaving this set.  IT wasn't cheap either.  I bought both a new washer and dryer as I wanted them to match.  I spent $1550 on both.  That's ridiculous. 

@winamac1

I understand what you are saying.  My "was"band (1st husband) was a service tech for Frigidaire for close to 20 years from 1977 until he quit to attend nursing school in the early '90's.  We (2nd husband) and I spent more money on the Cabrio than my first hubby and I spent on all our previous sets together!  To have poor performance and 3 or 4 service calls only to die at age 7 almost sent me over the hill.  Speed Queens are made in America and come with a 25 year life expectancy.  The tubs are stainless steel.  They are not too fancy but they get the job done.  They have an agitator and the tub fills with water all the way if you want or you can choose less water for smaller loads.  You can easily add something if you want.  I'm 61 and if I get 25 years of use from this set, they very well could out last me.  They are not cheap but they are good.  Wish you lots of good fortune on whatever you decide to choose!

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@winamac1

I understand what you are saying.  My "was"band (1st husband) was a service tech for Frigidaire for close to 20 years from 1977 until he quit to attend nursing school in the early '90's.  We (2nd husband) and I spent more money on the Cabrio than my first hubby and I spent on all our previous sets together!  To have poor performance and 3 or 4 service calls only to die at age 7 almost sent me over the hill.  Speed Queens are made in America and come with a 25 year life expectancy.  The tubs are stainless steel.  They are not too fancy but they get the job done.  They have an agitator and the tub fills with water all the way if you want or you can choose less water for smaller loads.  You can easily add something if you want.  I'm 61 and if I get 25 years of use from this set, they very well could out last me.  They are not cheap but they are good.  Wish you lots of good fortune on whatever you decide to choose!

@mustang66lady. Thank you.

I am not sure if the 2018 models fill all the way up.  I think that changed due to environmental standards.  The Maytags are made in the USA, and that doesn't mean much, lol, any longer.  My Samsung lasted about 7 years.  I actually thought that was good knowing how c a r a p pp p p y most appliances are made.  I don't mind spending the money on good products.  I just wish I had bought a 2017 speed queen.  I'm apprehensive of the 2018's due to several changes!

Thanks though!

Esteemed Contributor

@winamac1

I understand what you are saying.  Our repairman actually recommended the SQ to us on his last repair visit to fix the Cabrio.  He said he would do what we wanted-it was going to cost an unholy amount of money to fix -i forgot what part went out.  He only repairs appliances and stood to lose a repair job if we decided to purchase new.  I appreciated his honesty.  Because of his stellar reputation in our community, and because of what we feel was an honest recommendation, I now call him before I make any appliance purchase.  I trust him more than a salesman.   I was hoping because it is still Jan. that you might still be able to find a 2017 model of SQ somewhere.  I would hate to think that they were destroyed because they didn't fit energy efficient standards.  My heart just sinks when I think of all the money people will be spending on these "toss and go" appliances.   Young people are never going to be able to catch up as they will always be buying disposable appliances and older people won't be able to afford them on fixed incomes.  In our area, you almost need to take out a loan to go to the laundry mat. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:
  My heart just sinks when I think of all the money people will be spending on these "toss and go" appliances.   Young people are never going to be able to catch up as they will always be buying disposable appliances and older people won't be able to afford them on fixed incomes.  In our area, you almost need to take out a loan to go to the laundry mat. 

@mustang66lady

No truer words.  I hadn't been to a laundromat in years and was mortified when I discovered how much it costs to wash a load today.

I was perusing washers online last night and thought about a Speed Queen.  But it would almost be like buying a parrot.  The washer, at this point, might outlive me.  Do I want to invest in one when I'm not sure at this point what I'll be doing even five years from now?

Maybe another disposable washer is the answer.  I figure I can time it to the dryer's death so next time I need to replace, I can replace the pair.

We live in interesting times.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~