Respected Contributor

What do you think when you go into a house for sale and it is staged? Would you rather see the house as it was really lived in, but clean of course ( w/o the clutter, or mostly personal items around ) ?

I don't care for the staged houses, it looks  rather unreal  but mostly, that seems to be the norm.

BTW, how long has this been the custom? Anyone know?

Honored Contributor

Re: STAGED HOMES FOR SALE ?

[ Edited ]

The only house we ever got was not staged.It looked really nice.

the only time I wouldn't mind if it was staged would be if it was new housing. I guess you have to have a model home for that to envision it all.

I know about 20 years ago we had never heard of staging (except for new building).

I don't think its necessary to me anyway.

That's a good question @Flatbush!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Personally I'd prefer the house be empty!

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 wrote:

Personally I'd prefer the house be empty!

@nyc1   So do I. That’s how our house was when we looked at it. Empty. Nothing to hide.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ   Ours too.   Was able to vision things my way with our things.   

Respected Contributor

A little off topic but pertains to house with or without furniture.

We looked at a beautiful home with lovely furnishings. The great room was very large and we remarked that the rug (size) must be custom. While standing on rug, covering the hardwood , hubby said this feels odd.

The realtor pulled up the rug to reveal a 3x6 ish piece of plywood. Our guess is a foundation leak requiring cutting out the floor. Our realtor and the listing agent explained that the owners probably wanted to save a little on the floor since it was to be covered by an area rug. Ugh...not buyin' that. I think it is something an inspector would have missed. 

Respected Contributor

When I sold my house up in WA 15 years ago, my realtor had just attended a staging school.  It was the 1st I'd ever heard of staging & I think it was still a  relatively new concept at that time. 

She & her partner partially staged my house, because I'd already gotten rid of a lot of things in preparation to move to a different state & had some empty rooms & just had the furniture I was keeping (most of which I wished I'd gotten rid of because it asn't right for this house). 

It was just before Christmas & I had zero decorations, so they came & "Christmased" up my house & it looked like a Christmas store threw up in my house!  I had never decorated that much in my entire life!  The house didn't end up selling until the 1st of March, so they had to come & undecorate it after the holidays were over.

Honored Contributor

Re: STAGED HOMES FOR SALE ?

[ Edited ]

This is really popular in our area. Three years ago our neighbors (she was a realtor) basically moved out of their house for 3 months. It was completely redone, inside and out. When I saw pictures of the inside I didn't recognize anything. It sold right away. There was a bidding war and the selling price was far above what it was listed for. 

Another neighbor gave up a professional career to start a staging business with one of her friends. They have plenty of business!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I recently sold my parent's home and the agent insisted it should be staged and that she always pays for it. So I did agree and I must admit it looked so nice. The house sold the first day so maybe it helped, I don't know. 

Honored Contributor

Staging helps the prospective buyers to see the home as their own.

Fresh flowers and a few other things doesn't hurt anything but increases appeal.

I really don't want to see old, worn furniture and the like. I would prefer empty.