Honored Contributor

Restoring Decorative Gold Trim on China/Porcelain?

I'm redecorating our bedroom with a little bit of a shabby chic/vintage flair, but not overboard.  There are a couple of lamps I'm interested it, but the gold (gold leaf?) has rubbed off considerably more on one than the other.  Can I spruce that up with a little paint or would it not adhere well?  My sister says to leave them alone since with shabby chic things are supposed to look old.  I get that, I just wish they were more evenly matched in their worn out look.  

Any advice?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Restoring Decorative Gold Trim on China/Porcelain?

@JeanLouiseFinch----You can get get little packets at Michael's or any shop like that.  You may find there are more things you want to put a touch of gold leaf on, Make things your own. You live with your furnishings!----tedEbear

Honored Contributor

Recently I had a small touch-up project where I needed some metallic highlights. I didn't want paint so I looked for options and found these markers. The metallic is not a mirror-finish but rather a softly-muted metallic...sort of antique-looking. As most know, these are permanent markers.

ThreePackLG.jpg

Occasional Contributor

I bought some small jars of gold leaf and silver leaf paint from Amazon that were reasonalby priced. Just don't put them in the dishwasher afterwards. Shabby chic = used and not perfect so you might want to go lightly on the updating of the plates. Ginger

Esteemed Contributor

If you retouch 1 but not the other I think you run the risk of them still looking a bit mismatched.

If you're satisfied they aren't heirlooms, I would do some research to see the best method of retouching based on what you're painting over. Metal? Ceramic?