Honored Contributor

Home Design and Decor magazine

Houzz website

House Beautiful magazine

Better Homes and Gardens

House and Home magazine

I like looking and getting ideas! Some of these magazines are great, but what they do is far more expensive than I would have the money for, but they are nice for ideas!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Thundar wrote:

I am looking for a realistic resource (website, magazine, newsletter, instagram, etc) to give me ideas on how to redecorate my house. I like modern styles and would like to know what is in style for flooring, window treatments, paint, etc. I live in a rural area with a small-medium size house. So definitely nothing over-the-top. Thank you for any suggestions.

Browsing magazines and websites are good to see what's available but in the end it's what YOU like and not what's the current "style" that's important.  

Respected Contributor

I have been redecorating/remodeling my house since we moved in 6 years ago.  At this moment we're at the end of remodeling our last bathroom.  When we bought our home, it was listed as "French Country" but it was a french country style gone wrong.  Every room, every ceiling was a diffierent color.  The beautiful crown molding and fireplace in the master bedroom was painted black and the tray ceiling was faux painted different colors of brown.  I went to a transitional to slightly modern design.  I did not work with a decorator.  Most ideas I found were on line.  If working on a bathroom and interested in specific color or style I'd Google it.  It also comes down to what is available, especially in these times.  

Respected Contributor

When we bought our current home our realtor gifted us the services of an interior deigner since the home needed updating and we were finishing the basement as an apartment for my father who was moving in with us.  She really helped with the space planning for the basement but I did not use most of her suggestions for decorating the home.  Having said that we are planning to remodel our master bath in the next couple of years and while I have some ideas of what I might want, I do plan to consult with a desginer to help me put it all together.

Valued Contributor
Interior decorators (in my opinion) have their OWN personal tastes, no matter what. So unless you want their tastes in your home, it's better to do it yourself & not hard at all!

My only deviation from this is if you're doing a major renovation to a room such as a kitchen or bathroom. I hired an expert company for the design & layout & to make custom cabinets specific to my space, BUT I picked out all colors, tiles, appliances, countertops, hinges, etc. on my own! I also must have gone back & forth 2 dozen times with the layout to ensure I got what I wanted and liked!

I just Google colors, styles or pieces that I like and usually similar stuff will pop up in your search & you can go from there! This would be if you're just doing maybe paint, some furniture and/or accessories in a "refresh" type of redecorating. And obviously much cheaper than a gut job to a room. Start with a wall paint color, and once you have that, everything will fall into place! And most importantly, have fun & don't worry what other people think. You have to live in your space, so pick colors you love!
Valued Contributor

If you feel comfortable with computer software, find a program that will help you create a mood board and then scour the internet for those items that speak to you.  Don't over analyze, just add furniture, colors, decor items, rooms, etc.  Anything that jumps out at you. You may find in the end that your design style isn't modern at all. Or it could be a mix of modern and traditional or modern eclectic, modern organic, modern rustic.  I would also say stay true to yourself. If you love it, in the end it will all work.  

Honored Contributor

Look up pictures in your style.  I taught Interior Design.

Respected Contributor

Re: Redecorating

[ Edited ]

When I was re-doing a few rooms, I went to houzz.com  where you can really narrow down your search by color, size, etc. I saved pics and sent them to the contractor. It is a great resource.

You may also visit some model homes if there are any in your area. You will see what the latest styles and materials that are being used locally. Trends change quickly. One of my DD is a decorating consultant. I am amazed at the things she mentions are now "so yesterday" and the things she says are now "trending". You would have to be a billionaire to ever keep up. You know what you like. Don't just follow trends if you don't like them,  but if you want to update, the resources I mentioned will help. 

Honored Contributor

One of the biggest changes I made in my kitchen update 7 years ago, was inspired by viewing homes for sale on Zillow.  

Honored Contributor

I taught Interior Design and would suggest you "Google image" the style you love.