Esteemed Contributor

Recs for a fine mist vaporizer, please!

I have never used a vaporizer or humidifier, but this winter seem to be annoyingly dry at night.  DH and I both noticing stuffy heads and noses in the morning.  

Can anyone make recommendations for something that might help?

Honored Contributor

Re: Recs for a fine mist vaporizer, please!

My daughter recommended the Safety First cool mist humidifier.

I liked it so much I got one. She has one in her room and one in my grandson's.

You can get it at Amazon or Walmart, Target. If going to Walmart store it is in the baby section, not the pharmacy section.

She also told me not to get the Vick's brand. She didn't like those but didn't say why, just that they were cheap (not money wise cheap).360° Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier - Purple

Mine is blue. This is a pretty lavender. They also have it in hot pink.

Its very easy to fill. Mine lasts about 4-5 days all night and some daytime without refilling but its not heavy to carry.

Its also easy to clean-just swish vinegar around in it then rinse.

Its ok to use tap water-another bonus.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I am borrowing one from my mom right now, and have used it for like two weeks. It is v34912

v34912.001 (450×400)

So far I'm happy with the results, but it is a really big unit. Great in the bedroom just takes up a lot of space. Nice because it will do large areas too. 

Not something I want to move around on a day to day basis though.

Respected Contributor

I have had 3 vaporizers, and got rid of them because they just put out too much vapor and made my furniture ans bed clothing damp. Is this one better, as to mist the air and not everything in the room. I will look at it on Amazon. Thanks for telling about it, I buy a lot from Amazon, since I'm home bound.

Esteemed Contributor

DH told me he was going by CVS this morning on the way to work and would pick up something.  He didn't want to wait for me to research it Cat Happy

I'm going to continue to look, however, and appreciate both suggestions. 

Seems QVC had a TS some time back and I missed it.  However, I'm sure I'll find something that works for both of us.

He'll like get a smaller one and I think a larger one makes more sense.  Our bedroom is big and I don't want something sitting on either night table.

Trusted Contributor

I love my Air Innovations one.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

DH told me he was going by CVS this morning on the way to work and would pick up something.  He didn't want to wait for me to research it Cat Happy

I'm going to continue to look, however, and appreciate both suggestions. 

Seems QVC had a TS some time back and I missed it.  However, I'm sure I'll find something that works for both of us.

He'll like get a smaller one and I think a larger one makes more sense.  Our bedroom is big and I don't want something sitting on either night table.

Consumer Report rated a CVS brand as their number one pick in small room humidifier. We were lucky to get one...most are sold out. It was 30 dollars, uses tap water. Says CVS Health on the front and the round dial on the front  has a green light.

After purchasing and returning 2 different ones from Amazon we picked up this one...it is a winner. Nothing fancy...the tank is pretty small but easy to fill, clean and runs about 12 hours at top speed...longer if you dial down the mist. Perfect for a bedroom, I move ours around in the family room during the day and bedroom at night.

If I ever see another I will pick it up for back up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use two different types of humidifiers in my house. One is a cool mist ultrasonic type  (the Air Innovations with the additional hard water filter) and the other kind I use is a warm mist type (Honeywell). The humidity each puts out is different from one another. The ultrasonic creates micro-droplets and the warm mist works by heating the water to make steam (vapor). I think it's important to note that, while both are effective at what they do, the ultrasonic one will 'sonicate' everything else (stuff you can't see) found in your water which means any possible contaminants like chemicals or germs. So for this type of humidifier it is very important to keep it clean and buy one that has a filter in it, especially if it is going to be used around anyone with allergies or has any immunocompromising condition(s). The warm mist humidifiers otoh boil water which sterilizes it then the steam that comes off is pure water vapor. Warm mist humidifiers do require periodic cleaning to remove scale build up. My Honeywell is relatively easy to clean and has been rated highly by those who have purchased it.

Esteemed Contributor

@wonderfulworld

They have that one online -- buy one, get another 1/2 price.  However, it's $47.79.  

Still, if you get two, seems a good buy.

If he didn't find it in the store, I may have to buy it.  I think he mentioned it was a top pick on Consumer Report.

I don't want to overthink the whole thing.  I just want to feel better!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee

Thanks for your thorough explanation and the point of cleaning!

Many of the complaints/bad reveiws I saw were of mold forming inside the machine -- ick!  I just assumed they have to be cleaned now and then.

My husband ended up getting the CVS Warm Mist Humidifier, which I mentioned above.  Originally, he bought a cool mist by Vick's, but I encouraged him to get the CVS because of the warm mist.

He rarely gets sick, but is often congested.  This past week, he has the beginnings of a cold and I KNOW he is miserable!  He's the type who will never give in to a cold, he just keeps going.

Given all the dire warnings from the recent outbreak of flue has me worried (we both got shots).  

@wonderfulworld

@morganjen

@HLP

@Mominohio

Thanks again to all who took time to respond!

I laughed and said that every purchase turns into a project for usCat Happy