Trusted Contributor

RECCOMMENDATION FOR WATER FILTER

I depend completely on high-qualty bottled water to keep me hydrated.  The city water here in Phx is not potable (for me) without effective filtration.

If, for any reason, my supply of bottled water dries up (pun intended) it's going to be a big problem for me.

I rent so can't use an under-the-sink house-wide water system and I have no way to lift those replacement 5 gallon replacement canisters the water delivery companies provide. 

Also I have custom faucets in my kitchen/bath so the filtration systems that fit on the faucets won't work for me. 

Any suggestions for a water filter that might provide me clean, uncontamnated water from my tap? 

I've researched many pitchers and such; however, each seems to present significant problems with purity and effectiveness.

Honored Contributor

Re: RECCOMMENDATION FOR WATER FILTER

[ Edited ]

@pdlinda Since you rent, you are limited in your options...

you might want to take a look at Berkey.....old school but functional. 

Respected Contributor

@pdlinda  Everyone's water is different. Before buying anything get a report on what's in your water. Then you will know what you need to remove. I have found that water filter manufacturers are pretty clear about what their product removes.

Also, remember that the more effective a filter is, the longer it takes to work.  

Respected Contributor

I use a Zero water pitcher.  I have 2 of them.  The reason I use it is because I can stand the taste of tap water and also don't trust the water from the tap.  If you need filtered water I think they are the best.

Honored Contributor

The NY Times just did an article on water filters.  It said Pur was the best or Brita for a pitcher, I believe.  Sorry I can't post the article but maybe "google" it.

Regular Contributor

We have used a Berkey for years.  They are a bit pricey, but they last forever.  If you are using water from your tap to fill it, the filters also last & last since you're only removing chemicals and not dirt, etc. The only reason we had to replace a filter was because my husband dropped it when he was carrying things into the house from our vacation.   We have used a couple of other filtration systems, but this is by far the best we have found.  Ours is about 12 years old. It's gravity fed and does not require any electricy.  It provides 2 gallons of filtered water at a time. There are several sizes. Hope this is helpful.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a well . I have the Culligan water filter plus the ultraviolet light . Then I pour the water from my tap into a Zero water pitcher .

I recommend Zero water.  The bottled waters are not as clean as you think . There have been a couple of reports on bottled water that you can google.

Honored Contributor

We ordered an RO system by Home Master out of Phoenix, Az. It's under our sink. Call them they will probably have a solution. You can also look at their whole house systems online.

Since you rent I don't see why the landlord would have an issue installing the filters on the water in out lines so long you have a plumber remove it & replace the plumbing back like it was before the install. 

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3  Thank you.  Before I invest in any filter I will find out what's in my water.

I tried the City of Phx a when this issue arose in 2020 and they said they used to be able to test water samples from consumers; however, they no longer do it.

I think I'll try something from Amazon that I can test myself and go from there. 

Trusted Contributor

@Tuppermore   I'm willling to spend whatever $$ it takes to successfully resolve this situation.  It's that important to me!