Esteemed Contributor

Quilting Project...what say you?

Now that the garden is put to bed, time to pull together my winter project.  The question I have is whether to do one large quilt or two lap quilts.

if I do a large, it will be king size, 90 x 124" without a 2-3" border.  If I do two small, they will be roughly 50 x 70".

Since I don't have a king size bed any more, I am leaning to two smaller.

Opinions?  LM

048785DA-815C-4F55-825F-44DDDCDE5710.jpeg

D1D0F4DE-D885-43BE-AB31-7224ED298A88.jpeg

4471546F-95ED-4DC6-A7EF-2E4553E10BE6.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Quilting Project...what say you?

That's going to be very pretty!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very pretty! What do you plan on using them (or it) for?  Personally I think the design lends itself to two smaller ones rather than one very large one.  I like a large dramatic design for a large one but that's just me. If you made one large quilt, would the layout be like the one shown above?...with the design going off towards the right?  I'm not a quilter so I'm just curious & asking.

Plus I would think that two smaller ones would be used more.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom 

I always LOVE when you share pics of your beautiful quilts!

You have a beautiful talent, I wish you could teach me!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I like the idea of the throws.  They're so popular and can be shown off in any room, not just on a bed.  How pretty those butterflies would be thrown over a chair or sofa in the summer!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you don't plan on using the quilt on your bed (you would have to cut the panel up and resew), and make pillow covers with the remainder, then I would do two throws. They can be used most anywhere whether draped over a chair in a guest room or on your living room couch. 

Very pretty fabric

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom You might love seeing Connie Brown's quilts.  Connie is a show quilter from the Southern Highland Craft Guild whom used to substitute in my Interior Design classes.  She shows through the Folk Art Center.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/48695239699256682/?lp=true

Esteemed Contributor

@riley1 @Kachina624 @KingstonsMom @haddon9 , thanks for the feedback.  I am learning toward the throws and your comments  confirm that.  I could rework the pattern to do a large one but it would be painful.  I will do one this year and probably save the other for next year as I have another project mulling around in my head.

Smaller is easier to work with as well.  It is cumbersome to have a king sized quilt, batting and back on your lap not to mention warm.  Thanks for the feedback.

I will post as I move along with the project.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG , what an interesting link.  Thanks for sharing.  I thought she was doing machine quilting only but I see she does both.  Some of those quilts would knock your eyes out!  I hope those are the ones she does by machine.  I would go cross eyed looking at the circles.

I would like to see machine quilting in action.  I know there are some places (not that many tho) who do it locally.  I hand quilt mine.  I am not very experienced with a sewing machine.

You would get a kick out of my sewing machine,  It is a very old Singer.  Looks old but works like a charm.  I think it might be the case that they don't make them like they used to...the same as with appliances.  From time to time I think I should get a new one and DH says that the one I have is probably way better than the plastic new ones.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom Oh!  I know those old machines are wonderful.  I've sewn since I was 14 and became a Home Economics teacher which changed to Consumer Science.  I took every design class, and spent much of my time in the art department.  My design took me into clothing design, I don't know how Connie started.  When she subed for me, she was doing the quilts shown on the front of the package for a company that sells quilt kits.

Connie and I are very close.  Are you near?  You would enjoy the work displayed at the Folk Art Center.  I could let you know when she's there demonstrating if you like.Smiley Happy

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling