Honored Contributor

I have an antique table cloth, it's quite large....I think it is Quaker Lace, it has loops of thread along the edge of the hem.  

Yes, I have looked on line but none of the photos give a good look at the edge or do they give a good  description of the hem detail.....can someone please advise me on what I have....thanks.

Honored Contributor

When we first got married (40 years ago) we lived in an apartment unit with 5 apartments. There was an older couple that lived in a first floor unit. The man was in his 70s and went to work everyday at the Quaker Lace Company.

He never gave me any samples. So I have no idea about the different patterns.

Maybe email a place like that sells lace with your question.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla ...that is interesting....the lace was very popular at one time.  I am getting rid of the table cloth and would like to label it properly, that is the reason for my question....I am sure someone will let me know.

Honored Contributor

Re: Quaker Lace?

[ Edited ]

Is yours like this, @Mom2Dogs ?

Do a search for "Quaker lace tablecloth," you will see a lot of images including edges of the pieces.

Image result for quaker lace tablecloth

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach ....First I love that the table cloth is in the original box, and neatly folded, is it yours? And YES!! I think that is it...if you look close on the hem you can see the loops of thread.  thank you so much!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I forgot to include the link where I found this image.  

https://www.ebay.com/cln/rmemcr17/quaker-lace-tablecloths/68982488010

But do that search and you'll find a lot of other images.  Maybe one of those might even be closer to what you own.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach , honestly I searched for quite a while looking for good images, which I did find, but none showed a good picture of the hem, thanks for the link.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs.  Can you take a photo of your tablecloth?  That would be very helpful in identifying it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've done some research on Quaker Lace tablecloths, and what I have gleaned is the following.

Those little loops do indicate it is Quaker. I wasn't able to find any other brands that did that along the edges.  The big thing I've noticed is that there was a huge change in quality/thickness of the cloths as the years progressed. The ones from the 1970's are so much thinner than those from many decades before. 

Have you looked at pics of Quaker cloths on Ebay? Many of them in the past did show close up pics of the edging. Look under 'sold' as well, and see if you can spot a pattern and the edges yours has.

Respected Contributor

Re: Quaker Lace?

[ Edited ]

This brings back memories.  My mother's first job was working at Quaker Lace in Philadelphia.  She was just barely out of her teens.  I think she was a finisher on the line.  She was very talented in hand crafting and also made Hartanger scarfs and table linens.

Hartanger is almost a lost art but to see some of the pieces (all done by hand)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hardanger+embroidery&qs=WebSearch&form=QBILPG&sp=3&pq=hartanger...

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~