Honored Contributor

At least, I think it would be considered quirky here.  In Britain, it's not so unusual.

Interior designer Sophie Rowell took a falling-down captain's cottage, by the English seacoast of Kent.  She had to bring it back from decline, even had to put a new roof on, etc.  It's tall and skinny, spread over 4 narrow floors.

BEFORE:

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.34.20 PM.png

Love the herringbone floors she did.   The cabinets are in a U.K.  color called "London Brown"  which she says change and look aubergine in some lights, as they do here--

Cotedefolk_016_mpfurs.jpg

So many neat little touches.  Now, over the dining table, she has a different vintage chandelier, with little wicker shades she sourced in the U.S.:

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.37.44 PM.png 

This cabinet houses the frig.  You can really see how in this light, the color does look very purp-ley.

Cotedefolk_001_thpryk.jpg

This end of the kitchen was the dining area, but she ultimately turned it into this little sitting area below, since she wanted another comfortable seating space in the house, besides the living room.  She said her young son keeps taking that over!  The cute lilac fireplace surround here echoes the one other lilac cabinet in kitchen--

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.57.43 PM.png

Chocolate linen on the custom sofa--

Cotedefolk_015_dutjae.jpg

I see her point.   Lovely little spot to curl up, gaze out the window, and wait for the water to boil for tea!   The armoire houses her prized glass collections.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.59.09 PM.png

BEFORE:   Designers are always switching things up.  Here's this nook when it used to be a dining area--

L1500364-Edit_da2jdd.jpg

Here you can see the one other lilac cabinet, which echoes the newly lilac fireplace surround--

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 9.02.52 PM.png

So nice that the long kitchen gets such nice natural light at either end.

c28ce3_ee97b15331a746b48dc7116a86fcf32a~mv2.webp

Here's a peek at a few other rooms.  The rest of the house has a similar very individualistic, very romantic sensibility.  She left the original, unpainted plaster in the sitting room, for the moody look of it-- just had it sealed.   Her TV is on an easel. 

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.36.12 PM.png

Love the subtle ticking on the couch, a quiet counterpoint to the more flamboyant, very English chintz fabrics she's partial to.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.40.27 PM.png

Antique candle sconces,  lovely painting, an old chest and Italian pottery make a timeless still life....

L1500837-Edit_dhpr0z.jpg

One other room I really like is her bedroom, which looks out over the stormy sea--

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.41.13 PM.png

The brick is left natural in other parts of the house, but here I think it was absolutely the right decision to paint it out.  The white here is called "Warm White".   This looks so restful and serene, with comfy bed in vintage fabrics, and more of that lovely coastal light pouring in.  Curled up kitty only furthers the serenity....

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 8.36.53 PM.png

Love the painted floors, exposed rafters.  Opening up to the roof line really improved the feeling of spaciousness in the room, she said.

09656648-37B1-4B5B-AF32-33BF073A88AE_c9yv0m.jpg

Somehow, I think she's kept something of the spirit of the old sea captain's cottage dwelling, the character, disarming simplicity, the salty sea air atmosphere... 

Super Contributor
I love a good herringbone patter, especially on flooring. I'm so glad you mentioned the cabinets looking aubergine, because I was worried it was my eyes! I also love when the refrigerator is housed behind a cupboard as I don't find that particular appliance attractive. The bedrooms do indeed look cozy and light. Thank you @Oznell
Esteemed Contributor

There are just SO many interesting elements here, but my fingers got quite the workout today😁, so I will just add that I LOVE❤ the BEAUTIFUL kitchen flooring and the STRIKING purple fridge door; quite clever!! I have NEVER seen anything quite like it but it certainly makes a GRAND statement!❤ It and the lovely floral accent chair complement each other nicely!!!🥰

THANK you for caring to share these BEAUTIFUL photos!🤗

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

"vintage chandelier, with little wicker shades "

I would be scared to death the wicker would catch on fire from the light bulbs.

I don't know why cause it's NOT my style but, I Heart that chocolate covered custom made couch.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

Very unique kitchen and decor. I love it.

But I must say the stand out for me is the wall treatment used here:

L1500837-Edit_dhpr0z.jpg

I'm a sucker for an aged faux or original wall treatment! 

I'm saving this one.

Thanks again for the pretty!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Honored Contributor

NRe: QUIRKY SEASIDE KITCHEN

[ Edited ]

@Oznell I love 95% of this. And I don't see one single light fixture that I don't like -- that's a first for me! The only thing I would change is the ticking fabric on the couch but I really like the rest of it. Love the herringbone flooring. Not crazy about the old chest and the painting but those are minor details.

Honored Contributor

So interesting. She really has a lot of nice touches. It all looks very cozy and welcoming with light and color added too. I like so many of the things she's done-those curtains or brown shades, the purple door, the comfortable chairs

with pretty print fabric and couches.

I could live thereSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@GingerHead ,  I'm also very susceptible to original plaster finishes, the highs and lows, the interesting imperfections.  Makes such a romantic backdrop, especially for the art that a discerning collector like Sophie Rowell has...

By the way, knowing your predilection for a kind of "Dark Academia" look, I was interested to see someone talking about "Light Academia" online!   Wondering if that would appeal to you, or is it the darkness that you couldn't be without.  I usually need lightness, or mostly lightness, so my ears perked up.  I've always gravitated to that venerable library vibe, with portraits, old crumbling books, tarnished metals, etc., but with lighter elements and backdrops...

If interested, both online bloggers--  just lanchen and she holds dearly -- discuss and show examples--

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 8.34.26 AM.png  

Honored Contributor

I love it!! Quirky is my middle name.

Honored Contributor

Well done!  I really love the wall treatments and her fabrics.  Te purple kitchen was a surprise and could prove very tiring.  I would lower the sitting area coffee table; it's out of balance.