Super Contributor

Since everyone here is so helpul I am looking for input about popcorn ceilings.  We recently bought a house that has them.  Needless to say, I dislike them!!!

I have been reading about how to remove them myself.  Has anyone done this?  Also, is it very expensive to have them professionally removed?  I have no idea!

Thanks in advance!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Popcorn Ceilings!

[ Edited ]

My house has them and I don't mind them. There is no way I would spend the money let alone the mess of having them removed. I figure if I wait long enough they will come back in style.

Note* A 10′ foot by 10′ foot area =100 square ft. When calculating square footage.

REMOVE POPCORN CEILING COST ZIP CODE SQUARE FT.
Low Mid High
Remove Popcorn Ceiling – Labor & Material Prices $2925.00 - $3240.00 $3825.00 - $4725.00 $4950.00 - $5850.00
Remove Popcorn Ceiling – Waste & Haul-away Costs $450.00 - $450.00 $540.00 - $585.00 $675.00 - $765.00
Remove Popcorn Ceiling – Total $3375.00 - $3690.00 $4365.00 - $5310.00 $5625.00 - $6615.00
Remove Popcorn Ceiling – Total Average Cost per square ft. $3.53 $4.84 $6.12

Cost can add up quickly, especially if you’re a novice and have never attempted to Remove a Popcorn Ceiling before. I would strongly recommend you hire a licensed and Insured Remodeling, or General Contractor to Remove a Popcorn Ceiling for you.
Remove a Popcorn Ceiling – Pricing and Removal Cost Checklist
Get at least 3-5 estimates before hiring a Remodeling, or General Contractor — estimates are typically free, unless it’s a small job.
Expect Ceiling Removal prices to fluctuate between various Remodeling, or General Contractors – each and every company have different operation expenses and over-head.
Try to get prices in late Fall, early winter – you should expect aggressive pricing discounts by waiting for a contractor’s down season.
Try to budget and additional 7-15% more on top of what our calculator gives out – I.e; difficult configurations, Mechanical area space, the additional complexity of your home will add to the Popcorn Ceiling removal

Honored Contributor

The fuss that potential home owners on House Hunters make over popcorn ceilings always mystified me.  Every home in the Southwest has textured walls,  and ceilings with slightly more texture, although I'm not sure it would be classified as "popcorn".   Nobody pays any attention to it.  Removing any texture is sure to make a huge mess, then new mud would have to be applied making more mess.  I'd just learn to love popcorn. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty thanks for the informative post to the Original Poster.  I was going to add that if your going to do it best before you move into a place!It's a real mess with the dust particles flowing from the air ducts for months, not to mention allergies.  

Don't worry, when people come into your house they don't look up, strain their necks and say "hey look at that beautiful ceiling!!  Haha.  Focus on the floors, walls, decor, etc. Woman Very Happy 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624Lots of good points.  And I'd add this -  I don't think the "knockdown" (I guess that's what you mean by new mud) is all that much better looking than the popcorn. 

Respected Contributor

Oh boy, I know lots about popcorn ceilings.  My house had lots of popcorn.

Depends on when your ceiling was sprayed.  Back in the 60's and 70's the popcorn spray contained asbestos.  If that's the case, you need to scrape some off and have it tested to determine the percentage of asbestos.  It may be unsafe for you to remove it yourself.  I had mine tested and got a bid for removal.  The removal company said I would have to put all my furniture in storage.  Then they put a tent around the house.  Men in white suits remove the popcorn and take it to a special disposal site.  Then you clean up and move the furniture back.  Cost lots of $$$$$.

I opted to have a drywall contractor put new quarter inch drywall up over the popcorn.  Sanded and painted.  You can install molding if you see the edges.  The cost was around $400.  It's going to be messy either way.  But it looks so much better, and around here houses with popcorn ceilings are hard to sell.

Oh, and if it's been painted it won't come off.

Respected Contributor

You can do it yourself, it's really easy but time consuming & messy. Just takes plastic to cover the floor, warm water & a scraper. I've done it & would do it again if needed. My suggestion is to start with a small closet & see how that goes before starting a room. Good Luck.

Esteemed Contributor

We have popcorn ceiling in the family room. We hate it. That's one thing we didn't fix to put the house up for sale. To much of a pain to remove it.

Honored Contributor

I haven't removed it, but would if I had popcorn ceilings.  I've seen it done on home improvement shows.  You wet the ceiling and start scrapping.  I imagine you need strong arms.  My arms turn to jello when I work above my head.  I would hire it out and do without something else.  😀😀  you could probably find a utube video showing the process.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is easier to install new sheetrock over the old ceiling and finish it out with a flat finish.   I had that done to my bedroom ceiling, and intend to do that in my daughters bedrooms when they move out.   Several local contractors prefer to do this rather than remove the popcorn finish.  

**My sheetrock guy charged me $400 to do my bedroom ceiling, and had it done in 5 days.   1st day hung the new sheetrock, second day taped all seams and put first coat of spackle on, third day put second coat of spackle on, fourth day he sanded the seams, and the last day he textured the new ceiling.   It was well worth the price.