Esteemed Contributor

Finding it difficult to find a rental

Anyone have any tips on finding a rental. I can't believe it is this hard. No one once to lease a house for 6 to 8 months. We are trying to spend as little as we can for something clean in a safe neighborhood. We don't want to waste money on a rental. That money should be going to our new hous. We have used rental apps and zillow. We might have to adjust what we are willing to pay by a $200. But you can't make people give you a 6 to 8 month lease. We did find one. But it was a couple hundred more then we want to pay. Anyone else have any tips who have had to rent while building.
Honored Contributor

Re: Finding it difficult to find a rental

Rents have really gone up in the last few years.

Honored Contributor

I would take the one that's a couple hundred more than you want to pay.  Someone else might come along and take it and then you couldn't find one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Try apartments.com and sublet.com.  I believe they are both in all parts of the country.

Esteemed Contributor

I know. I think my dad is having a little bit of sticker shock. I have been keeping a eye out for awhile. I knew what we were going to have to pay. He is just finding that out. But our biggest issue is finding someone to rent to us for 6 to 8 months. We don't want a year. We found one last night but the guy was like no. He wants someone more long term. There is a townhouse/apartment complex but they are so expensive. But we may end up having to do that because no one will rent a house to us short term.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I would take the one that's a couple hundred more than you want to pay.  Someone else might come along and take it and then you couldn't find one.

I agree. My mom actually liked it. It sat on a woods. Chloe would love it. We may end up having to call back and hopefully no one has snatched it. We need to have a place this weekend. Because we will be out of town until Thursday afternoon next week with my surgery.

Honored Contributor

@ccassaday

Talk to local realtors about renting a home that has been on the market and the owners have already moved. The owners would like the rent coming in. The only drawback is the realtors would be able to show the home. 

Honored Contributor

You can solve that problem by not selling the house until you're almost ready to move into the new one.  I surely wouldn't move twice; that in itself is expensive.  You can always stipulate when the house will be available based on your moving date.  This is what most people do. 

Have you had any offers, lookers? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@ccassaday

Talk to local realtors about renting a home that has been on the market and the owners have already moved. The owners would like the rent coming in. The only drawback is the realtors would be able to show the home. 

But then you take a chance that they will sell the house. We do not want to have to move twice. Or pay movers to move the heavy stuff twice.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

You can solve that problem by not selling the house until you're almost ready to move into the new one.  I surely wouldn't move twice; that in itself is expensive.  You can always stipulate when the house will be available based on your moving date.  This is what most people do. 

Have you had any offers, lookers? 

Our house is sold. We close aug 10th.  We had to sell it first because we needed to pay off the lot so it could be used as downpayment. Not selling it first was not a option.