Respected Contributor

Re: Popcorn Ceiling

[ Edited ]

@50Mickey 

• Its very apparent when sheetrock workers are not real tradesmen.  Poor taping and mudding are eyesores.
Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom     I think it is a matter of taste. If you like the popcorn then I would keep it.  My home is fairly new built in 2018 and the ceilings are smooth and clean. I like this as opposed to the popcorn ceilings in my previous house. But like like everything else if you don't have good workers who know what they are doing then you will have problems. 

Honored Contributor

I have had smooth ceilings and cannot stand them.  They show all the imperfections in the paint and the sheetrock.  Give me any kind of textured ceiling, popcorn or otherwise but no smooth ceilings.  They are not attractive and add no layering and texturing to a room whatsoever.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Reever What do you mean "no one"? I know a few people who HAVE and CAN afford home rennovations. Where do you get your info that "no one" can afford something? You are 100% wrong.

@Love my grandkids 

She is referring to middle-class Americans, not you and your 1% friends.  We know many can afford whatever it is you wish but one day the stockmarket might surprise us all.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Popcorn Ceiling

[ Edited ]

We have picture frame paneling in our LR. Almost every home in our area was built with it. Years ago we had it painted white...best decision we ever made. It looks so much better!

Honored Contributor

I had the popcorn ceilings in my condo removed last summer.  My ceilings had never been painted in all the years since the development was built, so although they were in excellent condition I chose to have them removed.  Fresh ceiling paint at last!

Respected Contributor

@tampalady wrote:

Flatbush....how did you cover them up?  Never heard about this finishing technique.  I am interested.

@tampalady 

I called in a painter. He smoothed over the popcorn and then painted it. No popcorn was visible. Worked greyt.

I thought I would have to have it scraped off and deal with all the mess and $$$. I found out about it from another home owner and he invited me in to see his new ceiling. It was perfect!

Respected Contributor

We have popcorn ceilings in part of our home. They have never bothered me...I like them just as much as the textured ceilings. 

Valued Contributor

Am I crazy to keep?

since you asked...yes.

Valued Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Reever What do you mean "no one"? I know a few people who HAVE and CAN afford home rennovations. Where do you get your info that "no one" can afford something? You are 100% wrong.

who peed in your cornflakes?