Honored Contributor

my son bought his first home just a little over a year ago and now all of the drains seem to be backing up.what do you think causes this.I hope that the fix is not going to be expensive.I have never had a problem like that in my 35 years of home ownership.

Esteemed Contributor

Did he buy a ranch home or other 1 story style on a slab or crawl space?

Sounds like he has a clog somewhere to the outside drain to the public sewer. Is freezing weather an issue?

Yep, he needs a real plumber, personally I'd skip Roto Rooter for something like this. Usually they will snake drains with a camera attachment to locate the clog.

Honored Contributor

does he have a septic tank? if so, it made need to be emptied.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

He doesn't have septic or a rancher but he does have a crawl space.He has had done freezing weather but not much as he lives in Oklahoma.Thanks everyone and please give me any info so that we can help him get the right fix

Frequent Contributor

He will need a plumber, preferably one that specializes in drains, so that the drain system can be checked. Maybe get referrals from Angie's List or the Better Business Bureau.

Sounds like it could be a clog in the main drainage system, which could be caused by tree roots or old pipes.

And be sure to get a couple of quotes, especially if the quote is high. Our neighbor was given quotes ranging from $250 to $1,500 for a similar problem. (It was tree roots.)

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it sounds like the sewer drain is clogged since you say that all of the drains are backing up.  He needs a plumber.  

Honored Contributor

Everyone in our subdivision had slow drains.    Finally the City came and unclogged the main pipe under the street...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

my son bought his first home just a little over a year ago and now all of the drains seem to be backing up.

House should still be under warranty.  Also, your son should have homeowners ins.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

The warranty was up in December but he is still going to try to get them to cover some of it.my husband thinks insurance does not cover sewer problems.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC inappropriate