Respected Contributor

Platform bed vs. box springs type

I'm in the market for a new bed.  In my shopping around, mostly what I see are 'platform beds' that don't require a box springs under the mattress.  I've always had a mattress ''and'' box springs so I'd like to know if you have a ''platform'' bed, are they still comfortable without a box springs....and any other pros and cons to a platform bed are appreciated.    TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Platform bed vs. box springs type

I've slept on both. I find they are both just as comfy. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have both and I feel a big difference between the platform and the boxsprings and don't like the platform at all.  I'm just happy it is in a guest bedroom.  

One difference, the mattress sits much higher on a box spring than on a platform.   BUT for comfort I much prefer the boxspring.  Also I prefer a firm mattress, but the platform just does not provide the give that a box spring does. That has been the purpose of the boxspring all along.  

Respected Contributor

I have both in my house. The box spring and mattress are much more comfortable. I totally agree with @Bhvbum 

Honored Contributor

I think a lot depends on the mattress. There are some very thin (6" or less) mattresses that are pretty easy to compress and where a box spring could be beneficial. When you get to the 10"-14"+ mattresses, you probably wouldn't notice a difference. As to height, you can find platform beds in every height imaginable. Some are very low while others are quite tall. 

An easy way to test if you and your existing mattress would be okay on a platform bed is to simply lay your mattress on the floor and lie on it. If it feels the same as it does on your box spring, then you could go with a platform bed. If you notice a significant difference, then stick with the box springs. It really is very mattress dependent.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had both and honestly noticed no difference in comfort although I prefer a platform which we currently have.  But there are different types of platforms and it has to have a strong and solid base.  We have a mattress base from Amazon which is very easy to set up.  It's a Zinus Smart Base.  In fact we have 2, in our bedroom and in the spare bedroom.  

Honored Contributor

We've been looking at beds too. I want a simple platform bed.  We don't need anything fancy but want a headboard. We currently have a bulky 4-poster bed. It's beautiful but takes up too much space.

Honored Contributor

I notice absolutely no difference.  Clearly I'm not the Princess and the Pea.

(Note:  I sleep on TempurPedic mattresses so I don't know if that makes a difference.  Maybe spring mattresses are different.)

Honored Contributor

I have both. The bed in my bedroom has a box spring and about a 15" mattress. I am about 5'1". I have to climb onto the bed. 

On the platform bed I can easily just get on the bed. The mattress on the platform bed is a pillowtop mattress. It is in our guestroom. 

Both beds seem firm. But the mattress in the bedroom is new and firm. So both beds are firm but comfortable. In fact I had a guest stay for a few days last month. That was his first comment when he got up. He commented how comfortable the bed was and he liked it. Funny, he has slept on that bed frequently.

I prefer using the platform bed just because it is lower and easier to get on the bed. But both beds seem to be very comfortable for me.

Respected Contributor

@sarahpanda I have been studying beds since we are replacing one in our vacation home. I was surprised when I read an article that said the Tempur-Pedic type mattress performs better on a platform bed. Somehow a box spring inhibits its performance. I did not dwell on it since I was not considering that type of mattress.

My son's platform bed has too much platform around the outside. I have difficulty getting in and out of it, but I slept fine. If you need to elevate your head for acid reflux, a platform is much more difficult to elevate than a standard free-standing frame.