Frequent Contributor

How can I keep pictures that have been framed under glass from sticking to the glass?   I Just ruined a picture by trying to get it out of the frame.  When I pulled it it was stuck to the glass and part of the picture came off.

TIA

Respected Contributor
Put a Matt around the picture before framing. Any frame shop can do this for you. HTH
Honored Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo 

Old school......

Rub a very light film of vasaline over the picture.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

When you clean the glass, don't spray Windex directly on the glass.  It seeps under and this is what may have caused it to stick.  Spray a cloth or paper towel, then clean the glass with it.  Direct spray will also discolor a mat.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Wendy Lou Hoo 

I'm paging @ive been framed@Photo Donna and  @Karie2022 if they are still around to help answer your question.  

Honored Contributor

@Libbylady 

Can you help with @Wendy Lou Hoo 's question?

Trusted Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Wendy Lou Hoo 

I'm paging @ive been framed@Photo Donna and  @Karie2022 if they are still around to help answer your question.  

Yes that's unfortunate when that happens....a couple things, putting some distance between the glass and the photo-finding frames that allow you to do this, perhaps Michaels, go to the framing Dept.  Also, they make archival clear paper you can wrap your photo in before placing it in a frame; perhaps trying a more matte photo paper instead of glossy may help.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Valued Contributor

Hello!!  Just saw my tag on this.

Always have space between anything, especially photos, and glass.  Spacers that fit into the frame can do the job and stay hidden if you don't want to use a mat.  Never wrap anything around photos.  They are fine without that and the wrap could cause problems later.

As for already stuck photos....place the stuck photo/glass in a zip bag with a damp paper towel. Leave it for a couple days and allow the moisture to soften the hold on the glass.  If the photo/glass is too large for a zip bag, try a tupperware-type container.  Also steaming it and letting it sit in a bag or container works.  Most of the time.  The steaming and sitting may need to be repeated.  

I hope this helps!!!

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Valued Contributor

Another thing....

before you try anything, take a photo of the photo through the glass.  Do it as best you can to not have glare so you can have a "copy" of the photo just in case something happens to it and it is not saved.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...