Honored Contributor

Couldn't sleep for a few hours last night and landed the t.v. on HGTV.  Got to see Joanna and Chip in a few shows and a couple of others I hadn't seen before.  I enjoyed watching/listening to those shows on then.  Others on here have posted that they don't like those shows or even that channel. 

I'm just throwing in that I enjoyed it.  My conclusion for those with the realtors, who want so many things on their check lists, should just build.  Man, that was just too much.  Anyway, I didn't have to work with them, thank heavens.

Trusted Contributor

Re: People searching for homes

@qualitygal ~ I agree regarding building the home you want.  We are searching for a log cabin to escape to.  I guess they are called "log homes" now.  When I find one I love, it's either nine hours away, has no garage, the home is HUGE, has a shower but no bathtub, etc.  Thankfully we aren't in a hurry so I'm now searching both for the actual home and/or land to build on.  I'll know the place for me when I see it.

I haven't really watched much on HGTV but I do like the DIY Network.  Lots of shows about people building (especially cabins) off the grid!  :-)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So often the people coming to look at homes have no intention to actually buy. They are looky loos. Meanwhile , the poor homeowners have to run around cleaning and stowing all their personal stuff then find somewhere else to be for about 45 min. while these looky loos are in their home, for absolutely no reason. Hateful people! Our realtor told us he had to actually stop one showing because it was 4 young people who just would not stay together so he could watch them. They kept separating and were all over the house, looking in things that weren't their business, like the bedside nightstand drawers and other furniture. Anyway, he stopped the viewing after 10 min as he felt they were just casing the place to see what they could steal.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

So often the people coming to look at homes have no intention to actually buy. They are looky loos. Meanwhile , the poor homeowners have to run around cleaning and stowing all their personal stuff then find somewhere else to be for about 45 min. while these looky loos are in their home, for absolutely no reason. Hateful people! Our realtor told us he had to actually stop one showing because it was 4 young people who just would not stay together so he could watch them. They kept separating and were all over the house, looking in things that weren't their business, like the bedside nightstand drawers and other furniture. Anyway, he stopped the viewing after 10 min as he felt they were just casing the place to see what they could steal.

A good realtor would not show someone a home unless they had a bank pre approval in their hand. Cute down on gawkers.

Honored Contributor

Bank preapprovals mean very little. They basically just give someone an idea how much they can afford to pay for a house. We got preapproved while we sat in the bank managers office for a few min. Anyone can get one - all they look at is your credit score.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949Why didn't your Realtor find out more about his/her client first? Very strange. Most prefer to work with client who are already pre-approved by a lending institution prior to showing any property. A professional Realtor would never show a home to just anyone who calls without making sure they are financially able. Why show a home if the person can't afford it? Every good Realtor runs a credit check or references which tells them a lot about the individual! Your Realtor didn't do the first thing necessary. Big red flag. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

Bank preapprovals mean very little. They basically just give someone an idea how much they can afford to pay for a house. We got preapproved while we sat in the bank managers office for a few min. Anyone can get one - all they look at is your credit score.

That is not true. Pre qualified and pre approved are two different things. You can go into the bank and get pre qualified. They just take your info. Pre approval means you have submitted all your documents. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 Was this an open house? I think for Open Houses that is very common, people coming just to look over the house-not everyone, but some do that. I find people having less Open Houses and more Private Showings to cut down on that ....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we sold our house 4 years ago, I told the realtor no open houses.  I didn't want strangers running all over.  Most people coming to an open house aren't serious buyers, IMO.

I did agree to a realtor's open house.  My husband and I were there for that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

THis realtor (with the group of four casing the home) should never bring people into the home who haven't been prequalifiedor pre approved. People like this can still show up during an open house, but when scheduling a visit, a realtor should be sure people are prequalified for financing that covers the homes they are looking at. 

We had a realtor bring in and make an offer on our home, a young couple (we accepted the offer) then come to find out, they hadn't been prequalified and didn't even have income enough to get a loan. I was less than happy about that. 

In choosing a realtor the next time, we were better informed about choosing a good one, one that did the work up front for qualifying prospective buyers. 

You won't weed out all the looky loos, but will reduce it quite a bit.