Respected Contributor

Recommendations Please For Storage / Vacuum Pack Space Bags

Is there anyone that has used a successful brand of Vacuum Packed Space bags...the plastic bags that shrink wrap large items like blankets, by using vacuum suction. I'm looking for recommendations as the brand I bought on Q (Space Bags) years ago, never worked well, alway reinflated.  I was just searching on Amazon, and even though many are rated 4-5 stars, you always read many who say they reinflate. There are tons out there, and I'm even thinking of checking my local BB&B.  Please advise if any of you actually had success with a certain brand.  Really needing to shrink up some things such as bedding, pillows etc, for storage. Thanks in advance!

Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendations Please For Storage / Vacuum Pack Space Bags

I have purchased many of these bags over the years.  We have two RV’s and I use them to store bed lines and pillows to keep them fresh.  I too, have had bags leak  air and open. They never seem to last long and I have had to fight to get them to seal.

About three years ago, I bought bags from HSN, called StoreSmith by StoreSmart.  You get four compression bags and four zippered bags to put the compression bags into. I have two sets of these for a total of 8 storage systems.  I pack them extremely tight and so far every single one has performed perfectly.

They look nice too.  They sell for about $60 for four complete storage systems.  

Honored Contributor

I think reinflating and leaking is inherent in this product.  I've never had a storage bag that stay in the deflated state,  Its a great idea that just doesnt work.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I've had the Space Bags, and a long time ago, another brand that I can't remember, and neither were very dependable.

I like them cause things stay dry and dust free.

I like them because things even when reinflated, are still 'space saving'. 

I don't like them because no matter how carefully I pack them, when you pull the air out, they don't stack well. They are just kind of hard to put away as they are very stiff and don't lay totally flat. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmiewrote:

I have purchased many of these bags over the years.  We have two RV’s and I use them to store bed lines and pillows to keep them fresh.  I too, have had bags leak  air and open. They never seem to last long and I have had to fight to get them to seal.

About three years ago, I bought bags from HSN, called StoreSmith by StoreSmart.  You get four compression bags and four zippered bags to put the compression bags into. I have two sets of these for a total of 8 storage systems.  I pack them extremely tight and so far every single one has performed perfectly.

I have seen those on HSN and wondered about them, so thanks for the feedback!  I liked the idea of the storage containers to put the space bags in, as the other poster said here, without them, the space bags do stack weirdly uneven and lumpy.  I'm afraid as most said here, there still are no brands out there that actually stay deflated completely forever...some probably better than others.  Still a great idea, I really could use to work for me, even a little deflated helps...so I think I will try the HSN ones. Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

@Carmiewrote:

I just checked these out on HSN today...they have two sets $49-59...one has 4 Jumbo packs and the cases, and other has 3 Jumbo and 3 flat Large with cases. I'm thinking of getting the one with only the jumbo. Did you get those or a variety of space bags sizes. Just wondering if the jumbo will work for everything without needing any flat ones...If you happen to see this, please advise. I'm glad HSN still has them, they've gotten many great reviews..tks so much for recommending!  

Having just sold my mom's home (she's downsized to assisted living) and still sorting and decluttering what's left in storage of her things, also while sorting my own home, these are really needed for several bedding items and bulky winter clothing/coats. I've always kept them all in my home all year, stuffed in small closets, but now I will compress them & store them away when not in use!  It's been one big, long purge of two homes...reorganizing life and lightening up...hopefully soon!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amyb I have the eight piece set that they are offering... 4 bags and  4 cases.

I have to get mine to fit in the storage areas of a camper, and these do.  They are about the size of a carry on piece of luggage that will fit in the overbin area.

I am very happy with my purchase.  I hope you Will be too.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the info, Carmie; I ordered them today and can't wait to start storing things in them, in more compact order!