Respected Contributor

I am going to my beach house today so I can shop for paint for my master and upstairs family bathrooms.  The main part of the house which includes the upstairs living room, is painted a light agua.  The dining room, sun room and powder room on the main level are painted coral which is a little too bright for my tastes but I am trying to learn to live with it. 

I don't want the master bath to clash with the master bedroom which will remain the builder off white.  I may at a later date paint an accent wall to coordinate with the bedding- maybe teal.  

I don't want to paint the upstairs bath in the coral or agua as those colors will not coordinate with the shower curtain which has navy, yellow and pink lettering on it. I also don't want the upstairs bath to clash with the agua in the upstairs living room.  

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. 

Trusted Contributor

So are you saying you ar not paining the master bathroom?  And asking for your upstairs family bathroom?

I would stay neutral with those colors in the shower curtain.  Maybe a light gray?  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand how anything will clash with off white??

I think aqua and coral are perfect for a beach house actually.  

Also I wouldn't paint an accent wall to  match bedding when bedding is generally changed out.  

@ninjawife guess we certainly could not live in the same house, LOL.

Sorry not being helpful at all......carry on.

Respected Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

So are you saying you ar not paining the master bathroom?  And asking for your upstairs family bathroom?

I would stay neutral with those colors in the shower curtain.  Maybe a light gray?  

@justashopper I am painting both bathrooms.

Respected Contributor

I live in a coastal area and struggled for weeks trying to decide on something light and airy, but not white.  Finally chose the color "Piece of Cake" from Joanna Gains Magnolia Homes paint. It's a soft silver sky blue grey. Hard to describe but I love it. Now I did not use her brand of paint because I wasnt familiar with the quality. So I took it to Home Depot and they mixed up the color for me because I use their Behr paints, which I really like. Nice and thick. BTW I grabbed the sample color piece from ACE hardware while I was in there for something else. That's what I took to HD for them to match.

Respected Contributor

I would paint one bathroom in a whiteish color that has a hint of aqua. The second bathroom could be whiteish with a hint of coral. Towels and accessories can bring out the color in the paint while it is still relatively neutral. Accessories are easily changed.

Respected Contributor

Yellow. Maybe lighter in the family bath and stronger in the master since you might do the teal wall later. Clashing is more about staying in the same color family (tint, tone, shade, hue) and strength (ie light, dark). The sample below might be darker than you're doing but you get the idea. If you haven't already, google different color combos for inspiration. hth

Sunflower (Yellow) Coral & Turquoise | Summer color palette, Color schemes, Color inspiration

Respected Contributor

So I thought about doing a pale agua or coral but when I got to the paint store I found that I have already used the lightest shade which is surprising b/c the colors on the already painted walls is pretty saturated.  

I had a sample of a blue color that coordinates with the bedding in the master but a blue that could easily be matched if I should choose to change the bedding.  So I looked for samples of a lighter shade to do the master bath.

I looked at pale yellow samples for the family bath.  When I got to the beach house the yellows looked nice but I noted that the shower curtain has coral in it.  So I decided painting the family bath the coral that we already have would be my favorite choice. 

Thanks for your suggetions.  It really helped me think things through. 

Super Contributor
Our entire beach house is melting icicles. A very light gray. We have white crown molding and mop boards. Our furniture is a coastal blue. IMHO it’s stunning.
Honored Contributor

Re: Painting help

[ Edited ]

@ninjawife Master bath - how about a Latte color?   Restoration Hardware use to have that color.  In fact, I painted a spare bedroom in that color but I don't know if RH still carries their own paint you would have to check.  It's not a dark color more medium.  The other bathroom, I would paint a pastel soft yellow.

kindness is strength