Esteemed Contributor

Opinions re Shark v Dyson Cordless Vacs

I really would like one of those long thin cordless vacs but I just don’t want to spend money and buy the wrong thing. I know Shark makes something similar as the Dyspn 10 Animal which is the TSV. It don’t know how goodthe Shark is. Reviews were spotty. I honestly haven’t been that impressed with Dyson products especially the price. Thanks for any input
Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions re Shark v Dyson Cordless Vacs

@Teddixat  I can't speak for Dyson because I don't own one but I can speak for the Shark I own.  I bought it because it is very portable/flexible and it was about $125 at QVC.  I love it.  The only thing I have to do is wash the filter once a month.  Suction is exceptional.  This is not the cordless but Shark products do perform.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I would go with Shark. Hands down. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've bought 4 Dyson animals and recently bought an up-right Shark and the hand held Rocket prior.  I will not buy another Dyson - due to battery recharge feature.   So many times the battery refuses to take a charge or hold a charge.  Batteries are batteries and can't compare to the cord plugging in the wall - for electricity which is dependable.  The up-right Shark is a beast and I'm very impressed with it.  Less money too.  (Dyson has had it's 15 minutes of fame in my book)

Esteemed Contributor

@Teddixat. I have a large Dyson, then bought the V7 that was easier to get around furniture without a cord.. It didn't have much suction so I got a V8 that is amazing. It's Hepa and it picks up so much fine dust. I don't run it on high all the time because I don't need to and if the battery goes down I get my old one.

I cleaned yesterday, then today the Alarm repairman came across the carpets so I grabbed it and did it again. It picked up a lot of dirt again. I have two small dogs but remove my shoes.

Honored Contributor

Simply put....Dysons are made to be repaired if sonething goes awry; Sharks are made to be replaced.  The difference us in the engineering.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @Kachina624 and shark's being replaced. I got tired of replacing them and bought an Oreck - it's great.

Valued Contributor

I don't have a cordless but I have a Shark and I HATE it. I am constantly having to troubleshoot the darn thing to see why it's not picking anything up. I wash the filter constantly because I have a dog that sheds quite a bit but this vacuum just never gets the job done, even though it was a highly rated one here on the Q. It is only 2 or 3 years old but from the beginning, it just never has worked great. I am going to go buy a cheap vacuum. I had a Kirby before this and I had serious problems with that one too. The best one I have ever had was a Bissell that my daughter bought me and it was just around $100.  I have come to the conclusion that it's best to just buy cheap vacuums because the expensive ones really are not better at all.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Simply put....Dysons are made to be repaired if sonething goes awry; Sharks are made to be replaced.  The difference us in the engineering.

I've made repairs to one of my older Shark vacuums. Most anything can be repaired. You just have to know how to do it.