Respected Contributor

Re: Opinions On Painting Project...Open Floor Plan

On 10/20/2014 Me And My Shadow said:
On 10/20/2014 mima said:

We have a similar layout. I think the green foyer would look nice! We had our foyer a different color than the kitchen, living, and dining areas even though you could see them all at once. It looked nice.

When we repainted, we painted the kitchen walls only a different color, so we then had the foyer, living and dining areas all the same. We didn't want to see 3 different colors at the same time.

So now our foyer is the same as the rest and the kitchen is different.

Hi mima...That's interesting!...So you ended up blending your foyer in with the rest of your rooms, except for your kitchen area...Did you complement the other rooms with accent accessories that are similar to the color of your kitchen, so that the color doesn't just stand on its own...rather it pulls that color into your other rooms?

It's really all about each of our own unique personal styles and what makes us comfortable and happy...love sharing with everyone!

Thanks so much!...All positive replies for my soft green foyer!

I love my kitchen. I really doesn't sound pretty, but it really is! LOL

Keep in mind that I don't have much kitchen wall by the time you count the backsplash and cabinets on all three walls. My walls in the kitchen are charcoal black. The charcoal is mainly above the cabinets and around the doorways and that's about it. Since are ceiling are 13 feet high on one side, there is a lot of the charcoal on the one wall up high. I have shades of light gray for my counters and SS appliances. I have some red accents for a pop of color. My kitchen floor and back splash is porcelain tile with shades of gray, and tannish gold with sparkles.

The same gray/tan/gold tile flows into the foyer from the kitchen. The foyer, living and dining is painted the tannish gold color. In my living room I have the charcoal black iron ornate end tables with glass tops to carry the black in from my kitchen and the matte charcoal black ceiling fans (that aren't installed yet, LOL). My living room furniture is mainly gold & sage green colors.

I know most people hate carpet these days, but I'm old fashioned. I want the warmth of carpet, so our carpet is the frise? in the tannish gold color in the living room/dining area. It butts up against the tile in the kitchen and foyer. It goes perfectly with the tannish gold in the tile.

The same tannish gold paint goes on down our hall to the bedrooms and baths. The bedrooms and baths aren't coordinated with the rest of the house.

EDIT: I just reread my post and saw that horrible error! I know that should be our and not are. I'm sure glad the grammar police aren't here. LOL I sometimes type faster than I think and I don't proofread!

Regular Contributor

On 10/21/2014 mima said:

I love my kitchen. I really doesn't sound pretty, but it really is! LOL

Keep in mind that I don't have much kitchen wall by the time you count the backsplash and cabinets on all three walls. My walls in the kitchen are charcoal black. The charcoal is mainly above the cabinets and around the doorways and that's about it. Since are ceiling are 13 feet high on one side, there is a lot of the charcoal on the one wall up high. I have shades of light gray for my counters and SS appliances. I have some red accents for a pop of color. My kitchen floor and back splash is porcelain tile with shades of gray, and tannish gold with sparkles.

The same gray/tan/gold tile flows into the foyer from the kitchen. The foyer, living and dining is painted the tannish gold color. In my living room I have the charcoal black iron ornate end tables with glass tops to carry the black in from my kitchen and the matte charcoal black ceiling fans (that aren't installed yet, LOL). My living room furniture is mainly gold & sage green colors.

I know most people hate carpet these days, but I'm old fashioned. I want the warmth of carpet, so our carpet is the frise? in the tannish gold color in the living room/dining area. It butts up against the tile in the kitchen and foyer. It goes perfectly with the tannish gold in the tile.

The same tannish gold paint goes on down our hall to the bedrooms and baths. The bedrooms and baths aren't coordinated with the rest of the house.

mima....Your décor sounds absolutely beautiful....love your color choices!....You sound like an interior designer!...You described it all so well that I was actually able to get a good image of what it must look like...very warm and modern...contemporary/traditional....I see that you also favor soft green shades.

I have also incorporated a little black into each room of our home....not on the walls, but with various accent pieces, such as lamps, knobs on kitchen cabinets, a TV stand in Den, etc...Our walls are also a tannish gold...very warm color...called Brunswick Beige (Benjamin Moore)...and we also love the warmth of carpet, which is a soft sand color....best way I can describe the color....it all blends in very nicely and, of course, soft green accents, such as a chair in corner of dining room area, ottoman in living room, throws, pillows...My sofa is a textured, neutral tan fabric and I have two black chairs with a gorgeous floral pattern...filled with beautiful shades of soft rose, honey, cream, gold and, of course, shades of green....Each room has some green accents...so the green foyer will just pull it all together and make my favorite color pop all the more.

I hope that you come back to see my reply to you...Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful home with me....love your style!

Respected Contributor

On 10/22/2014 Me And My Shadow said:
On 10/21/2014 mima said:<br />

<br /> I love my kitchen. I really doesn't sound pretty, but it really is! LOL

mima....Your décor sounds absolutely beautiful....love your color choices!....You sound like an interior designer!...You described it all so well that I was actually able to get a good image of what it must look like...very warm and modern...contemporary/traditional....I see that you also favor soft green shades.

I have also incorporated a little black into each room of our home....not on the walls, but with various accent pieces, such as lamps, knobs on kitchen cabinets, a TV stand in Den, etc...Our walls are also a tannish gold...very warm color...called Brunswick Beige (Benjamin Moore)...and we also love the warmth of carpet, which is a soft sand color....best way I can describe the color....it all blends in very nicely and, of course, soft green accents, such as a chair in corner of dining room area, ottoman in living room, throws, pillows...My sofa is a textured, neutral tan fabric and I have two black chairs with a gorgeous floral pattern...filled with beautiful shades of soft rose, honey, cream, gold and, of course, shades of green....Each room has some green accents...so the green foyer will just pull it all together and make my favorite color pop all the more.

I hope that you come back to see my reply to you...Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful home with me....love your style!

I'm glad I came back to read your post. Thank you for the compliment. I can visually imagine yours too and it sounds beautiful. Thanks for the description! I definitely think your foyer would be gorgeous in soft green after hearing about the rest of your rooms.

Super Contributor

We have an open floor plan where you walk into front door and see our Great room, dining area and kitchen. After a few yrs here with all of them the same color-off white, we decided to paint each section a different color but contrasts with each other. We painted the GR a beige color with an existing columns/wall around the fireplace a terracotta. the eating/dining area a light green and the kitchen is spackled green with cream color. We love it.

Honored Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Me And My Shadow said:
On 10/20/2014 happy housewife said:

Before we moved into our open floor plan home I would never have thought of painting an entire house all the same color BUT when we saw how this home looked when it was completed and all painted one very soft , pretty neutral color it totally won me over.You can literally see into every room in our house from the main living area when the bedroom doors are open so it does make it seem softer to the eye and more as it is intended to be for it to all be one color. Every wall in my house is painted Killian beige -the ceilings are all a soft oyster white and the trim is all pure white. When we were making the choices for this house our builder offered decorator packages for all the color picks - you could chose ivory , grey,or beige or a few other colors then they chose your counter tops and floor tile and carpet and paint for you. As I visit in and out of the homes in this plan you can really see the difference - it is so much nicer - in the homes that the decorator did vs the ones the homeowners chose themselves. And the ones that are painted all one color just feel so much more sophisticated and modern to me.

Hi happy housewife...I understand what you are saying about homes with open floor plans...It is important that the rooms flow well together and complement each other...That is interesting how you were offered "decorator packages" and then they chose everything else for you...However, I would prefer having more input in the choices, along with the help of a decorator.

When we first moved here, I actually had an interior designer come in to help out with the layout of furniture, window coverings, etc...and I didn't care at all for many of his suggestions...Many of them just weren't "Me" and didn't fit my personality or taste...When I rearranged to my liking, it all came out so much better...It actually took me almost a year to really get the whole open area to where I felt really happy with it and I learned a lot along the way.

Your home sounds lovely...soft and neutral...and you can add color with your furniture, accents/accessories to your own personal taste...and it is quite interesting to go into other homes similar to ours and see the differences.

Thanks for sharing!

In regard to the builder and the choices of counters and floors etc .--- you select a basic color like I chose beige then you are shown a few choices that go with that group in each area - 3 or 4 tile choices and 3 or 4 countertops and a few kitchen cabinets. So you do get to make some choices - but they are preselected to all go together, and to all match the wall color you chose. So you get to select but it is also foolproof. Often there are different pricepoints attached to the various choices.