Regular Contributor

Re: Opinions On Painting Project...Open Floor Plan

On 10/20/2014 babyb said:

Love the idea of the foyer being that shade of green. Maybe just try to work in a few accessories in that same green shade in those adjoining rooms to make them really all seem like they work/flow together.

babyb...Yes, it just so happens that I already have accessories in my rooms that are in similar soft green colors...throws, accent pillows, a lovely soft green ottoman in living area and a soft green chair in an alcove area in our dining area so, as you can see, I have done it in a way where that beautiful color flows through each area....Painting our foyer will be the perfect finishing touch and will really pop my very favorite accent color...It is such a warm, soothing color!

Thanks so much for your input...very helpful!

Regular Contributor

On 10/20/2014 VaBelle35 said:

I have a townhouse with an open floor plan, so all the walls can be seen from all levels at every angle.

What I did was use the same tonal family. The last time I painted, I used Martha Stewart's paint colors (I used Glidden Duo, but they mixed them using Martha's color recipe). Martha categorizes her colors like Giranimals. Everything with an Apple symbol on it goes together. So even if I used green and blue, the colors went together because of the undertones.

The other part of the equation is deciding which wall or wall part goes in which room and gets which color. There is no wrong answer, you just have to be consistent with how you map it out.

VaBelle35...Yes, the paint store where I go to is very helpful in showing me colors that work well together and, as you mentioned, as long as we stay within the same tonal family, it all works together very well.

It's like Art, isn't it and I have come a long way with my decorating skills since moving here, as open floor plans can be quite challenging...However, I love to decorate and fuss around our home, so I enjoy every moment of it!

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out...Can't wait to see the final touch!

Regular Contributor

double post

Frequent Contributor

OP - would you mind sharing the green color that you are so pleases with? Thanks!
Regular Contributor

On 10/20/2014 mima said:

We have a similar layout. I think the green foyer would look nice! We had our foyer a different color than the kitchen, living, and dining areas even though you could see them all at once. It looked nice.

When we repainted, we painted the kitchen walls only a different color, so we then had the foyer, living and dining areas all the same. We didn't want to see 3 different colors at the same time.

So now our foyer is the same as the rest and the kitchen is different.

Hi mima...That's interesting!...So you ended up blending your foyer in with the rest of your rooms, except for your kitchen area...Did you complement the other rooms with accent accessories that are similar to the color of your kitchen, so that the color doesn't just stand on its own...rather it pulls that color into your other rooms?

It's really all about each of our own unique personal styles and what makes us comfortable and happy...love sharing with everyone!

Thanks so much!...All positive replies for my soft green foyer!

Regular Contributor

On 10/20/2014 Tulips4U said: OP - would you mind sharing the green color that you are so pleases with? Thanks!

Hi Tulips...I just went down in our basement to check after I saw your post...It is Benjamin Moore "Liberty Park" 487....If you love greens, this is a very lovely, soft green shade!...They now have Aura Bath & Spa paint specifically for bathrooms.

ETA...Don't go by the online color, although it looks quite close, it is actually a softer shade...If you are interested in seeing the true color, get a sample from the paint store and actually paint a good size test spot on your wall and let it dry to its true color.

Honored Contributor

Before we moved into our open floor plan home I would never have thought of painting an entire house all the same color BUT when we saw how this home looked when it was completed and all painted one very soft , pretty neutral color it totally won me over.You can literally see into every room in our house from the main living area when the bedroom doors are open so it does make it seem softer to the eye and more as it is intended to be for it to all be one color. Every wall in my house is painted Killian beige -the ceilings are all a soft oyster white and the trim is all pure white. When we were making the choices for this house our builder offered decorator packages for all the color picks - you could chose ivory , grey,or beige or a few other colors then they chose your counter tops and floor tile and carpet and paint for you. As I visit in and out of the homes in this plan you can really see the difference - it is so much nicer - in the homes that the decorator did vs the ones the homeowners chose themselves. And the ones that are painted all one color just feel so much more sophisticated and modern to me.

Regular Contributor

On 10/20/2014 happy housewife said:

Before we moved into our open floor plan home I would never have thought of painting an entire house all the same color BUT when we saw how this home looked when it was completed and all painted one very soft , pretty neutral color it totally won me over.You can literally see into every room in our house from the main living area when the bedroom doors are open so it does make it seem softer to the eye and more as it is intended to be for it to all be one color. Every wall in my house is painted Killian beige -the ceilings are all a soft oyster white and the trim is all pure white. When we were making the choices for this house our builder offered decorator packages for all the color picks - you could chose ivory , grey,or beige or a few other colors then they chose your counter tops and floor tile and carpet and paint for you. As I visit in and out of the homes in this plan you can really see the difference - it is so much nicer - in the homes that the decorator did vs the ones the homeowners chose themselves. And the ones that are painted all one color just feel so much more sophisticated and modern to me.

Hi happy housewife...I understand what you are saying about homes with open floor plans...It is important that the rooms flow well together and complement each other...That is interesting how you were offered "decorator packages" and then they chose everything else for you...However, I would prefer having more input in the choices, along with the help of a decorator.

When we first moved here, I actually had an interior designer come in to help out with the layout of furniture, window coverings, etc...and I didn't care at all for many of his suggestions...Many of them just weren't "Me" and didn't fit my personality or taste...When I rearranged to my liking, it all came out so much better...It actually took me almost a year to really get the whole open area to where I felt really happy with it and I learned a lot along the way.

Your home sounds lovely...soft and neutral...and you can add color with your furniture, accents/accessories to your own personal taste...and it is quite interesting to go into other homes similar to ours and see the differences.

Thanks for sharing!

Honored Contributor

My house has an open floor plan. From the foyer you see the living areas and the cellar stairs. The foyer is painted latte. The rest of the area is painted linen. I think the green would workout fine. I'd go for it.
Regular Contributor

On 10/20/2014 graycatsrule said: My house has an open floor plan. From the foyer you see the living areas and the cellar stairs. The foyer is painted latte. The rest of the area is painted linen. I think the green would workout fine. I'd go for it.

Hi graycatsrule...The latte and linen shades sound lovely together...and I can picture where the latte makes for the perfect contrast to the linen....I can definitely see now where the foyer area is actually the best place to paint a contrasting color, as long as the color used also pulls in similar colors from various pieces in other areas.

I'm definitely going for it!