Respected Contributor

@Mominohio I have some sets of vintage Ralph Lauren sheets that I bought from eBay.  They have gorgeous patterns that you rarely see these days, but the fabric quality isn't always the best.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes old sheets are perfectly intact and look fine.  However, they sort of dry rot and will easily tear.  When deciding whether to keep them or trash them I test to see if they'll readily tear.  If so, they go to the rag bag.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio

Way back in the 60's while in college, I worked part time in a linen store.  I bought Fieldcrest towel sets in three different colors.  I still have one:  says a lot about the quality of the brand back then !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@Mominohio

Way back in the 60's while in college, I worked part time in a linen store.  I bought Fieldcrest towel sets in three different colors.  I still have one:  says a lot about the quality of the brand back then !

There was a line of Fieldcrest towels that I loved from the 1980's (late) and I bought many of them, some second hand, and they wear like iron. 

I still have many of them, and they still get regular use. 

As I watch the linen shows today, how I pine for good quality linens at reasonable prices like in the 'old days' ! LOL

@jlkz

Respected Contributor

We have a set of Martex towels that we received as a wedding present in 1970.

The towels are still being used, have no holes and are not threadbare.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

When I cleaned out my parents house, I kept many of my parent's sheets. They were all in good shape AND my brother would rent a car (He lives in NYC) when he would come and visit. He had a collie that shed. So he spent lots of time cleaning the car of the dog hair before he returned the rental car.

I would give him sheets for the seats and the floors, to help ease the cleaning process. I ran across a sheet that I used when I was a girl, my parents still had it in their linen closet. It was in pristine condition, so I never gave it to my brother for dog hair.

I checked it out. The sheet had no holes. Was still nice and white with pink embroidery trim. So I put it on the bed in the share bedroom. The sheet is nice and soft and looks so nice. It is over 50 years old. It looks better than some sheets I bought 2 years ago. Wonder why it is still in such good shape. 

What is a share bedroom?

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I wish I could find reasonably priced sheets that didn't end up in the drop cloth box after one or two uses because they're horrible, don't really fit right, are too hot or make noise when you are turning over.

I think the worst I ever bought were from Target, one of the Threshold styles.  My husband wanted to know if I used plastic shower curtains to make the bed!

I have one set that I took from my parents house when I was cleaning it out.  I've been using them almost 11 years and I don't know how long they had them.  I can't read the tag to see the brand but it wouldn't matter because they probably aren't made anymore.

I'm going to be really sad when they finally do wear out.