Honored Contributor

Do you remember when  QVC used to sell Old Virginia soy candles?  They often were sold with cute toppers that you kept on the top so that they would burn evenly.

They had a good throw and really would make your home smell nice.  I wonder why they no longer carry them.  IMO, they were better than Slatkin candles.

This past weekend, I was rearranging things in my basement when I can across some boxes that were taped shut.  When I opened them, I was surprised to see a trio of those candles...one large and two smaller ones with a ceramic topper.  

I remembered that I purchased six separate boxes from an e-bay seller years ago, much cheaper than QVC sold them for, but they were clearly made for QVC.

I am burning Strawberry Cream in my kitchen now.  My whole house is filled with scent from one candle.  

I have 17 more to burn, then they will be gone forever.  Too bad they are no longer offered on QVC.

1614997C-46A0-498D-A22F-51D3221956DD.jpeg7DA11227-24A6-4FC7-9ED2-6D1F59ED02C7.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Old Virginia Candles

[ Edited ]

those were the best and cutes. i was on auto del. for some seasonal one. when val parr hill came, she had hanna's candles and those were generally good too. the original slatkins-when they were with BBB, were good. now, yankee and woodwick are the ones i buy.

Frequent Contributor

@Carmie  You certainly brought back some memories!  I had so many of these candles.  I still have some of the toppers, although sadly some of them broke, or fell apart with time, but I have great memories of putting them out seasonally.  I agree that they were much better than the Slatkin candles. 

I don't particularly like the BBW ones as they don't seem to burn all the way down and create lots of soot. I will occasionally burn some Yankee candles (like many, I have a few favorites that I like to get when they are on sale), but as of late, I've been using the Better Homes and Gardens wax melts from Walmart.  The throw on these is incredible and they have such a variety at such reasonable prices, that you could easily buy more than you'll probably ever use.  

I was browsing around and found this article related to the Old Virginia Candle Co that made these candles:  https://candles.lovetoknow.com/Old_Virginia_Candle_Company

I'm not sure how recent this article is, but at least if you're still interested in these candles, you'll know what to look for if you're interested in getting more of them.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Do you remember when  QVC used to sell Old Virginia soy candles?  They often were sold with cute toppers that you kept on the top so that they would burn evenly.

They had a good throw and really would make your home smell nice.  I wonder why they no longer carry them.  IMO, they were better than Slatkin candles.

This past weekend, I was rearranging things in my basement when I can across some boxes that were taped shut.  When I opened them, I was surprised to see a trio of those candles...one large and two smaller ones with a ceramic topper.  

I remembered that I purchased six separate boxes from an e-bay seller years ago, much cheaper than QVC sold them for, but they were clearly made for QVC.

I am burning Strawberry Cream in my kitchen now.  My whole house is filled with scent from one candle.  

I have 17 more to burn, then they will be gone forever.  Too bad they are no longer offered on QVC.

1614997C-46A0-498D-A22F-51D3221956DD.jpeg7DA11227-24A6-4FC7-9ED2-6D1F59ED02C7.jpeg

I have a few of those toppers,  not sure what to do with them . they only work on Yankee type jars and I don't buy Yankee anymore 

Honored Contributor

I still have a bunch of these, and I stopped burning them when it was apparent that the company wasn't going to make them anymore. You could get triple layer candles here too, as well as out in the general marketplace, but the bale handle ones I only remember from here. 

You are right, the throw and the scents were wonderful. 

Old Virginia Candle company became Woodwick. It was like they went with than new line, and poof, nothing left of the traditional lines anymore. Too bad, as they were very popular. All the gift shops we frequented back in the day carried Old Virginia Candles. 

I don't know who's dumb idea it was to completely stop making an entire line like this, but I was certainly sad to see them do it. I contacted the company and told them so, back in the day! LOL

I store mine in the basement so they don't get too warm and funky, and I probably should start burning them. Some of the trio sets, with smaller and larger, plus a topper, make such a nice display, and I have them for various seasons and holidays. 

Oh well, I guess nothing lasts forever.

Honored Contributor

I loved their shows on QVC..... I love Candles, period and love to try different brands and scents....I miss this company!!!! Loved their triple scents..very unique.

Frequent Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I still have a bunch of these, and I stopped burning them when it was apparent that the company wasn't going to make them anymore. You could get triple layer candles here too, as well as out in the general marketplace, but the bale handle ones I only remember from here. 

You are right, the throw and the scents were wonderful. 

Old Virginia Candle company became Woodwick. It was like they went with than new line, and poof, nothing left of the traditional lines anymore. Too bad, as they were very popular. All the gift shops we frequented back in the day carried Old Virginia Candles. 

I don't know who's dumb idea it was to completely stop making an entire line like this, but I was certainly sad to see them do it. I contacted the company and told them so, back in the day! LOL

I store mine in the basement so they don't get too warm and funky, and I probably should start burning them. Some of the trio sets, with smaller and larger, plus a topper, make such a nice display, and I have them for various seasons and holidays. 

Oh well, I guess nothing lasts forever.

That is the most accurate way of describing doing away with such a seemingly popular line.  

Honored Contributor
Yes. Loved the candles and I still have the 2 toppers I purchased and wish I had more. The company discontinued everything except woodwick which I will never buy.