Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Now I'm convinced it's me!

For those looking for great quality, handmade in the USA (Wisconsin actually) furniture I could not recommend Penny Mustard more.  They have locations in Wisconsin and are expanding into Illinois.

I bought a living room chair and sofa from them.  You are able to pick out your fabrics, legs of the furniture, any hardware, etc..  It is so well made it will never wear out and I mean that . . .  it's actually so heavy I have a hard time moving it around by myself . . . thank goodness for those furniture sliders.

Trusted Contributor

I watching a HouseHunter,International 1 evening.  The couple wanted a style of sofa that was made by the Asian company he worked for. They didn't want the quality of the sofa, they wanted QUALITY.  So the company made a quality sofa in America for him, in the style they wanted.  The husband was the asian manager for this American company that imported all these modern leather sofas you see in all the ads.  He got quality,we get ******.  Spend big bucks and maybe you can get quality?----------tedEbea r

BRING THE JOBS BACK TO U.S.A.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 What store did the furniture come from? We purchased a sectional sofa from Raymour and Flanagan. What a piece of garbage. One section goes almost to the floor when you sit on it. Years ago we got a sofa and love seat brand name Sherrill. Excellent quality. Still have it but needs slipcovers or upholstery. That is what I will do instead of buying something new that won't last.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have my own tattle-tale story to tell on Pottery Barn furniture. 

As background (if that counts), I had six Henkel-Harris dining chairs that I had owned for decades but never thought were comfortable, and sold them on Craigs List very easily for every penny I had paid for them and more.  I had already found their replacements, which were......

Six new made-in-New-York-State chairs  (from an independently -owned high-end store in my area that had been in business for years and from which even my parents bought their furniture).  Just happened to sit in one of them while my husband was making a purchase at that store for a TV console/cabinet.

I fell in love and we ordered the chairs on the spot.  Took months to receive them, with no  credible and repeated explanations from the dealer as to the delay, but I did get them.  (The store soon after that went out of business, no longer able to make it in a world dominated by cheap furniture from overseas.)

Then........a Pottery Barn catalog came with photos of very charming black-fiinished dining chairs that seemed to be less heavy than the dining chairs I had only owned a short time.  I wanted them.

Went to Pottery Barn to inspect them........found charming chairs obviously designed for midgets!!  They were so tiny that no adult would be comfortable in them.

Breathed a sigh of relief that I had not relied on the catalog photos to make a purchase.  I noticed the chairs were not offered in the next Pottery Barn catalog.  The world is not populated by too many adults who fit in child-sized chairs.

And I do not trust any furniture store today to make good on its presentations.  The furniture world is tough and dicey these days.

Respected Contributor

My friend orders all her furniture from Pottery Barn and she has never has an issue.  That being said,  when I sat on her brand new couch I sunk in and I had nothing to suppprt my lower back.  She has the couch that the cushions supporting your back can be moved.  If I bought from Pottery Barn, I would buy a couch that meets my lower back.  

Honored Contributor

As West Elm is a division of Pottery Barn, I am not surprised to hear these stories.

Don't get me wrong, I love both stores but I would think more than twice in terms of ordering furniture from either of them again.

Honored Contributor

Where we live now we have a furniture store that is family owned.  They also carry "made on demand Amish furniture".  I have predominately antique funiture now and we wanted a dining room table and chairs that were antique looking and they had exactly what we were looking for.  We could pick the style of table and chairs and pick the finish (to match our antiques) and it took about 3 months to get the set.  It is phenomenal!!  It goes SO well with my other furniture! .... It was costly but was done piece by piece BY HAND... and is of exceptional quality.  No sofas and such, but if you want a wood furniture piece, I've never seen anything done so well~!!  Woman LOL  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Where we live now we have a furniture store that is family owned.  They also carry "made on demand Amish furniture".  I have predominately antique funiture now and we wanted a dining room table and chairs that were antique looking and they had exactly what we were looking for.  We could pick the style of table and chairs and pick the finish (to match our antiques) and it took about 3 months to get the set.  It is phenomenal!!  It goes SO well with my other furniture! .... It was costly but was done piece by piece BY HAND... and is of exceptional quality.  No sofas and such, but if you want a wood furniture piece, I've never seen anything done so well~!!  Woman LOL  

@Q4u congratulations on your beautiful furniture and great experience . . . isn't it nice/sad that we get so excited when something actually goes well these days . . . Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

We are lucky to live 8 miles down the road from The Nebraska Furniture Mart.  owner Warren Buffett.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Q4u congratulations on your beautiful furniture and great experience . . . isn't it nice/sad that we get so excited when something actually goes well these days . . . Smiley Happy

It is!!  If only the Amish made sofas and such for this little furniture store I'd be all over them.... as it is we did purchase a recliner for DH last year from them and it looks like new (see how thrilled I am for a chair that reclines that lasts longer than six months?) LOL.....  we were so disgusted by the well known furniture store (that is a vendor for QVC) that we use their name with the word c*ap at the end....  Woman Frustrated

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*