Honored Contributor

Re: Non-Traditional Holiday Table

Oh, dear, where do I start?  

Remove that pretty tablescape, then let's look at this room.

So, it looks like they removed the walls, took the house down to its bare bones exposing the 2x4 studs to get a rustic impression?

From the looks of the window frames against the walls, it appears the wood backs the exterior of the house or is the exterior.  No insulation?  Bad idea.

If they wanted a rustic look, I'd plaster those walls somewhat uneven similar to that above the fireplace.  Leave the window panes natural.   

As for the ceiling, it's nothing more than, again, removing the plasterboard or plaster that covered the wood, not to mention heat and AC loss. 

The modern hardwood floors should be replaced with wide plank.

The table and chairs are out of place here.  

The fireplace is OK in white...looks typically at one time red brick so often found in suburban houses, and along with those narrow hardwood floors, I suspect, this house IS a typical suburban house the owners wanted to change.  I'd rather see stone facing on the fireplace.  I like the mirror above it.  

Maybe, the owners wanted this look, but IMO, changing architectural details of a house in this manner is a huge mistake.  I wouldn't have done this or my suggestions that I think would improve it.  It will be difficult to sell.  

Respected Contributor

i have surprised myself on this one!  i really love it.  really. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my, there isn't anything I like about this room except maybe the white brick on the fireplace.  The walls look like they need insulation and dry wall.

Those chairs..........are they chairs?  No support for the L4-5 and S1 in the back.  And I don't like the colors on the table.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the crystal and the other beautiful berry colors! Not so much the tablecloth. LOL!

Respected Contributor

The rustic room has potential, needs changes.

The chairs are awful, don't go at all.  The table is too cluttered.  Chandeliar should be replaced.

Honored Contributor

This isn't my taste and I am not a fan of the chairs.  However, there is something about it I like, maybe the ceiling and walls.  

Honored Contributor

Very interesting visually.  The room is very well done, although, I personally don't particularly care for modern, I do appreciate the form. 

Love the red-violet!

Esteemed Contributor

What I see is a unique and different room put together by a designer for a spread in a magazine.  Different elements may inspire, others won't for sure.  I do like the table setting but I'm to traditional but who says we can't set a holiday table any way we want?

Honored Contributor

The giant Eagle has to go and Lucite chairs look terrible to me.

I think it would be very pretty with different chairs and if the Eagle flew away.

Honored Contributor

Is that a sheet on the table????  It's a pretty picture but obviously it's just a photo shoot picture.  I do like the room and I love the color story.  It reminds me of my grandmother's cranberry glass collection.