Trusted Contributor

Re: Nickle faucets in bath and sink, what finish should my light bar be?

I wouldn't use bronze in that location. While I am a proponent of mixing metals, in some circumstances you should stay within the color/finish family to please the eye. Instead of a light bar (I think of those Hollywood makeup mirror styles UGH) why not something with frosted glass or crystals or acrylic? You could do nickel or chrome depending on the style and how much metal shows. Think of the area as a picture - depends on how much space you have and what else is seen within that "picture" as to your choice.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

I mix metals in my house, but in something as small as a bathroom, if you are looking for a clean and 'finished' look, I'd make sure they all match. If it is the hard water that is stopping you from changing metals in the faucets, consider just having people dry off the fixtures when done. If you don't leave standing water on fixtures, they don't discolor or get that hard water build up. 

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@terriebear wrote:

@mima wrote:

Am I limited to a nickle finish light bar?  I really like the bronze but can't use bronze faucets.  Our water is too hard and the bronze would look awful in no time.  We do have a water softener, but we still get some hard water once in a while.

@mima

I am not sure why you can't use bronze.  We have hard water and have bronze faucets and no water softener.  I just use Lime Away about every 3 weeks, just to make sure nothing builds up.  (not that anything has).  We have had them about 9 months with no problems.

9 months isn't that long to boast about faucets (with hard water and without a water softener) not getting yucky. OP, I think you should stick with nickle lights to match everything else.

@ID2 ~ I agree about hard water and bronze finish faucets. I had a bronze water fall faucet and copper hammered finsih sink in the downstairs 1/2 bath.  We had very hard water where we lived (high desert in Utah) and the minerals from the water left buildup within months, no matter how diligent I was with wiping faucets down after use, or using CLR and Lime Away. 

@mima ~ it will look much nicer with a uniform nickel finish.  I have it and love it...easy to clean, doesn't show water spots.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for your opinions.  I think I will stick to nickel.  You know I spelled nickel wrong in my original post and title, didn't I?  LOL  Oh well.....

I guess I said light bar, but it will be a light fixture actually.  I do like the more decorative frilly fixtures with a few lights on it rather than an actual bar.

I'm sorry I didn't get back yesterday to thank everyone.  I was gone most of the day.  Nickel it is!!!

Thanks again!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I changed all my fixtures from brass to chrome, I like the shine on my fixtures.