Honored Contributor

Re: Next Color Discussion - Red

I'm not a big red fan, but I do have some accents in my house.  i have never liked red walls even under the best circumstances, and for a while about 15 years ago every amateur, mediocre, self-proclaimed decorator was painting walls red, and they looked hideous.

I like the rooms in the first two pics.  Just enough red.

I do have a Nantucket Red couch and loveseat at my Cape house.  For those of you who might not know, Nantucket Red is a faded red (also known as pink.)  LOL

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

As a few others have said, the first two rooms are gorgeous.  Even though I love the color red, I couldn't live in either of the last two rooms.  

Most of the red in my home is located in the kitchen.   My kitchenaid mixer, food processor and toaster are all red.  I've mixed red and yellow in my kitchen design.  I know that color combination wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

I also love the color red in my clothing.   It has to be a bright red though.  I don't look good in burgundy or any shade of deep red or rust.  My skin coloring is fair so I need bright colors to bring life to my complexion.   If I wear anything in the taupe or beige family I just fade away.   

Honored Contributor

My bedroom walls are black & red.  The color scheme in my bedroom is red & black.  My bed is also red & black (backboard).

My father always called my bedroom a bordello.runaway.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I use a lot of red.Have never tired of it, and I don’t think I could go back to not having it. 

Esteemed Contributor

My front door is always painted red - three houses. Current patio home -- with our varied shades of brown brick (boring to me) at the front of the house, the red door and flower pots look good. 

Kitchen has a few small appliance red accents along with large, multi-colored area rug under dining table, covers wood floor. My countertops are cream, black and copper with cream cabinets and black island. I love a back porch cupboard I've had over 30 years, however, the light pine wood didn't really mesh with painted wood cabinets and darker, mango wood table and chairs. For mother's day, son painted my light pine cupboard a terrific shade of red and added black hardware. I LOVE IT. It's the pop of color I needed in our open floor plan and looks terrific with our darker, mango table with black leather chairs. When we bought the table/chairs and high counter chairs -- I didn't like the style of the matching mango sideboard. It looked Americana and didn't go well with modern farmhouse table. Have searched for a sideboard for two years. Frustrating. Love my new-ish, red back porch cupboard.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac -- Haha -- Dads!

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

Heart red.  All shades of red. Of course when I was working I had the red "power suit".  Lot's of red tops but not in pants, and burgundy couches in my family room.  My sanctuary bedroom (since I live alone) is painted in Ralph Loren red paint with white ceiling, crown molding, doors and billowing sheers on a wall of windows. I know it breaks all the bedroom decorating rules but it makes me happy everytime I walk in and that's what counts.  I love the red dining room picture, my neighbor has one very similar.  The rest of my home is more nutral & traditional and no red!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wilma Thanks so much for posting the pics. They are always so interesting and most are so pretty!

I do like the color Red, but do not have it in my home. My sister in law is a huge red and yellow lover, and has that color combo in her Dining Room, Kitchen and Living Room...It is very very pretty, but a little much in all 3 rooms!

I think if it is done tastefully it looks very pretty as in the above photos. I like them with the exception of the Dining Room, I don't hate it it is just too much for me..... 

I would like to eventually redo my 2nd bathroom and incorporate some Red in it.....

Honored Contributor

I LOVE RED!  As a child, I colored everything red; my red crayon would be a nub, and all the other crayons in the box looked new.   

Outside of my daughters bedrooms, every room in my house has something red; curtains in my bedroom, walls in the main bathroom, furniture in the living room, and linens in my kitchen and dining room.   

Red, yellow, sage green, tan and black are prominent colors in my home.   

Esteemed Contributor

@wilma  I really like them all! That red sofa in the second picture looks like ours in our Family Room. (Except, ours is getting kind of worn and lumpy Smiley Sad)