Valued Contributor

Re: New Season of Fixer Upper...

Yep, love that show, too!! Glad there are new episodes because HGTV had been running the same shows over and over.

There are many shows/designers I miss on HGTV.

Super Contributor

I redid my plans for last night to include their new episode and soooo worth it.....well, except for the cockroach part! LOL I enjoy their website, too, and all the ideas I get from those two.

Trusted Contributor

I always try to catch this show too - Chip and Joanna have so much personality which makes the show a little bit more lively than some others. They do really grogeous flips/makeovers too!

Does anyone recall the "code word" from last night for the 25,000 Sweeps game? I did watch but was listening from another part of the room when they said it and thought they said "game" but when I try to put that in the entry form, it is telling me I have the wrong code.

Anyone recall it - love to play these sweeps on HGTV and am frustrated because I watched two shows last night and was sure I heard the code word correctly - next time I'll know to run to the TV if I am not right in front of it to see the word printed on the screen.

Thanks so much if you do know it and would be willing to share{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

Love this show and enjoy watching with DH. Glad for some new episodes.

Regular Contributor

On 1/6/2015 jackthebear said:

Fun show, but I noticed they never put a TV in any of the rooms and the style is pretty much all the same in every house.

You're right, but I still love this show! I love it when they show the animals at their house and I love how her husband is always bringing more home (2 dogs once, baby chicks, calves to bottle feed, etc.) and her reactions ({#emotions_dlg.w00t}).

The amount of work and the gorgeous results for the amount of $$ is unreal. It makes me want to move there (okay, not really) just for the amount of property I could get versus in Chicago.

Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2015 ChicagoHeather said:

Fun show, but I noticed they never put a TV in any of the rooms and the style is pretty much all the same in every house.

You're right, but I still love this show! I love it when they show the animals at their house and I love how her husband is always bringing more home (2 dogs once, baby chicks, calves to bottle feed, etc.) and her reactions ({#emotions_dlg.w00t}).

The amount of work and the gorgeous results for the amount of $$ is unreal. It makes me want to move there (okay, not really) just for the amount of property I could get versus in Chicago.

It is amazing to me the work they do to transform a broken down house to a beautiful home.

Trusted Contributor

I enjoy them, too – they are a fun family with a successful business breathing new life into old homes that have become frumpy and outdated. That said, I do get tired of HGTV (and other channels) taking the lazy approach using cookie cutter format/design styles.

Johanna seems to decorate every home in her own taste – a farm sink, distressed furniture in every room, rusty tin décor, at least one big clock on the wall, a farm table, etc. She does a fabulous job on each home, but the style is very one-note. The same is true for “The Property Brothers”, they also do magnificent makeovers, but they all have linear straight-lined furniture, done primarily in dark colors with one brighter color accent like pistachio green or aqua or yellow, they add a modern print – usually on one wall or a rug or window treatment. And if I hear “open concept” one more time I think I will scream. Buy It or List It” is the same story over and over….the lady always over promises for the budget and there is some major unpredicted crises. The realtor guy always shows them property that isn’t where they want to live. And that woman who does the voice-over has a voice I cannot listen to – she sounds nasal and mechanical.

All these show are the same basic story over and over, only the names, locations and shape of the houses really change. I do think many of them accomplish incredible changes and it is fun to see the process. But I wish the story editors would be more creative and original.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/7/2015 wackers said:

I always try to catch this show too - Chip and Joanna have so much personality which makes the show a little bit more lively than some others. They do really grogeous flips/makeovers too!

Does anyone recall the "code word" from last night for the 25,000 Sweeps game? I did watch but was listening from another part of the room when they said it and thought they said "game" but when I try to put that in the entry form, it is telling me I have the wrong code.

Anyone recall it - love to play these sweeps on HGTV and am frustrated because I watched two shows last night and was sure I heard the code word correctly - next time I'll know to run to the TV if I am not right in front of it to see the word printed on the screen.

Thanks so much if you do know it and would be willing to share{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

wackers, the code word is Gaines

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Super Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Havarti said:

I enjoy them, too – they are a fun family with a successful business breathing new life into old homes that have become frumpy and outdated.That said, I do get tired of HGTV (and other channels) taking the lazy approach using cookie cutter format/design styles.

Johanna seems to decorate every home in her own taste – a farm sink, distressed furniture in every room, rusty tin décor, at least one big clock on the wall, a farm table, etc.She does a fabulous job on each home, but the style is very one-note.The same is true for “The Property Brothers”, they also do magnificent makeovers, but they all have linear straight-lined furniture, done primarily in dark colors with one brighter color accent like pistachio green or aqua or yellow, they add a modern print – usually on one wall or a rug or window treatment. And if I hear “open concept” one more time I think I will scream. “Buy It or List It” is the same story over and over….the lady always over promises for the budget and there is some major unpredicted crises. The realtor guy always shows them property that isn’t where they want to live.And that woman who does the voice-over has a voice I cannot listen to – she sounds nasal and mechanical.

All these show are the same basic story over and over, only the names, locations and shape of the houses really change.I do think many of them accomplish incredible changes and it is fun to see the process.But I wish the story editors would be more creative and original.

Your assessment is spot on!

...especially about the "open concept" -- I'm waiting for a show where the bathroom will be part of this "open concept" and one's conversation with their guests will never have to be interrupted when they have to take care of business.

Super Contributor

On 1/7/2015 ChicagoHeather said:

That's why I love her designs...life is not centered around the tv! But I am sure she has done plenty of media rooms. As for the costs, things vary so much depending on where you live. I don't even think you could buy a driveway in NJ for under $100k.