Honored Contributor

Neutral Overload

[ Edited ]

There are a lot of rooms out there on the Internet that have a completely neutral color scheme. Yet, I know no one personally who has a room like this in their home. Guess we’re out of touch with current design style? 

Whenever I am searching for pictures to post & discuss I always find lots rooms designed only in tones of beige, tan, sand, ivory, etc. Then there’s all the rooms dominated by white or tones of grey. There’s not a color pop anywhere in some of these rooms - even the artwork, pillows, & all the accessories are neutral. 

I love neutrals, but I need some color in my house. Right now I have mostly neutral furniture & walls, but I have color in my rugs, accessories, plants, and even on accent walls. 

What’s your opinion on using neutrals in home decorating? 

Honored Contributor

I'm thinking maybe people go with neutrals because they have learned if they get tired of it, they can change it by adding a little of any color they want at any given time.  It is practical if you think about it. Personally, I would have to add color right away....even if it were just greenery.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree completely.  I've never been a fan of the monotone, neutral rooms.  I do love gray though but even it needs some contrast.  I redid my living room last summer with new gray furniture but it's darker and incorporates some lighter and darker shades as well as black, tan and cream.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I would love to have nothing but light neutrals throughout my entire home.  

But it's just not practical for my lifestyle.

Respected Contributor

I like neutrals.  We've been painting the main floor of our house room by room with Sherwin Williams Agreeable Beige.  What  I like about this neutral color is that sometimes it looks more grey and sometimes more beige.  We got a new sectional for the family room and the color is called Sepia and it's perfect.  I did add a little color with the area rug but it still in the neutral tones.  My husband got a new recliner and it's a darker tone which complements everything niceley.  We plan on getting new living room furniture (just sofa and 2 chairs) and I plan on going neutral there too.  Our house had a lot of color, a lot of different colors top to bottom.  Walls and ceilings painted different colors.  The dining room was painted in different colors of green stripes.  

Honored Contributor

I have neutral wood floors, off white walls, and neutral furniture in weathered coastal  wood with gray fabric on the sectional sofa.

I use plants, pillows, and area rugs to liven things up. I change the accessories with the seasons.

Valued Contributor

I love, and have always, loved neutrals - I find them very relaxing and comforting - lots of creams, off-whites with black-cream accents -

In fact, black and cream toile is my absolute favorite -

When I was working, I dressed this way also.

Bright colors, for me, are very jarring.

Honored Contributor

Re: Neutral Overload

[ Edited ]

I understand why people chose neutrals, but too me the neutral theme is just too blah....and when I see all these light colored couches and chairs I can just picture what they will look like with everyday living especially with kids and pets or those that entertain a lot.....ARRRGGGHHH!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@wilma  I have an extra bedroom that's done in all neutrals, and I really like it. Everything is a shade of ivory/off-white. The walls are a cream color, the window covering is vanilla and has texture, the 2 matching chests of drawers I recently bought are a shade of off-white, the lamp shade is ivory with a texture, etc. There are 3 paintings that are basically neutrals, but 1 one has silhouettes of people wearing dark gray & the other 2 have hints of silvers/other neutrals in them. I use this room as a "dressing" room. It has a calming atmosphere, yet warm with the warmer shades of ivory.

Respected Contributor

I love neutrals but use colors in very light tones. I don't like a lot of color in my designs.