Contributor

Neighbors gift ideas needed.

Hello everyone!

I need some holiday gift ideas for neighbors! We have been in our new house for about 7 months now and we've met a few of our neighbors and their really nice and the one across the street made for us a lasagna and brought it to use the second day and there so sweet! Me and my husband want to give them a little something for the Christmas holidays...what are some ideas on neignbors gifts? Thank you everyone!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Neighbors gift ideas needed.

[ Edited ]

@LittleT  I think a Poinsettia  is always nice! Not too expensive and can be appreciated by the entire family during the season.

I'd  also like some ideas. Two of my neighbors have already given me a Poinsettia. I had intended to do the same but they beat me to it! Now, I don't  know what to do. I don't  usually give bake goods anymore since so many people have allergies and special diets.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Esteemed Contributor

I give quite a few of those tall insulated tumblers and they are received bery well. 

Food gifts are nice such as a cheese,cracker and meat platter. The local grocery store has a nice selection . I have used Wolfermanns and sent muffin baskets. They are reasonably priced. Harry and David is nice but pricey. The Prinable apples are good gifts and make a nice presentation. Hope this helps you.

Honored Contributor

A gift I'm giving to several people this year, including our neighbors, is a state dish towel. Sounds dorky, but they're so nice. 

I bought them on Etsy and the shop name is LouPaper. She has most of the states, as well as some specialty towels. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I've  decided to give my neighbors a bayberry candle along with the poem. They have some on Etsy. I'd  forgotten that I'd had some of the poems made onto postcards a couple of years ago to give to family and friends. My family always lights a bayberry candle on Christmas eve  and New Year's eve too.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@LittleT   A live plant; flowers; a nice box of chocolates.  Pottery Barn had some pretty candle holders for votive candles for Christmas.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Some good suggestions mentioned already.
I only have one neighbor that I "gift" anything. Sweet woman lives back of me. We share small tokens throughout the year. I recently took her a variety of homemade candies that my daughter and I made all in one crazy fun filled day, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I like the idea of food trays this time of year. Cheese and meat platters, Mrs. Prindables Apples or Dipped Pretzel Sticks, Wine of course, or even a beautiful Holiday Centerpiece, or my favorite which is a Nice Scented Candle, or beautiful Candle holder. Lots of options, but harder if you don't know them well..   

Respected Contributor

@LittleT   Sometimes the floral department of the grocery store has potted rosemary plants (or white paper narcissis or amaryllis) within a larger holiday cachepot.  I have used them as gifts in the past for neighbors and they were well received.  I liked the rosemary plant so much that I bought one for myself!

The deli section has Boars Head brand wooden boards with a selection of three uncured meats:  2 uncured sopressata and a genoa salami that are lovely, already wrapped in cellophane and with a little bow.  And they don't need refrigeration until a roll is open and used.  With my Harris Teeter e-vic card I got a $6.00 savings.  If I had purchased on a Thursday (seniors day) I would have gotten an additional 5% savings, or another $1.24 reduction.  Original price was $24.99.

I hesitate suggesting home baked items since so many people (see prior year threads of huge, epic debates on this topic) don't like these for dietary or hygenic reasons. I don't agree and would gladly give or receive home made goodies.

A cellophane gift bag with a small selection of jars of herbs or spices would be welcomed by me--dried parsley, a specialty salt, and Colman's dry mustard, for instance, is another gift I have given that seemed to be a hit.

In any event, sounds like you have moved into a wonderful neighborhood as I did in September, 2017, and I wish you the best in your search for the perfect gift for such thoughtful neighbors.  

Esteemed Contributor

I just received from costo dot com --- an 8 pack of Home & Body Holiday Greetings Liquid Hand Soap - $26.99. There's Pine, Candy Cane, and Holly Berry. I'll be giving 7 of the 8 bottles for gifts (I've also included this soap with another present).

I also just received their Home & Body LaTasse Liquid Hand Soap - 8 bottles for $26.99.

This is for me.

I purchased a set last year - and they're beautiful - and the sizes are large.

Great Bargain!!!!

You don't have to be a member of Costco to order items on line - they may charge an extra 5%.