Honored Contributor

Need suggestions for window shades in my den.

I  have faux wood blinds but does not block the light. I am not interested in drapes or curtains. I sleep in a recliner in the den. Front of the house has a street light plus neighbors across the street keep there front porch and patio light on 24/7 that comes through one window. Beside my driveway, the next door neighbor keeps there patio light on 24/7. Our driveway light is motion detection. I have mentioned to the next door neighbors about the light but no response or help. Plus the early morning sun and glare on the television. We only have two companies in our area that sells window products. I am handicap with no transportation and have limited choices. One representative today, suggested the shades operated with the wand to push a button to raise or lower the shade. He said the remote control motorized shade would be difficult to replace the battery because the battery is housed in rods installed on top of the window frame and would need someone to climb up to change battery. I selected the simple black out shade. I have windows  54 hx43 w. The total package was less than $800 with 40% discount. The other representative appointment scheduled next Tuesday and told this representative works full time and works part time with selling and installing window products. The representative today was the owner and he installs all the window products and does this full time.The companies were about equal with 4 plus star reviews but more positive thoughts concerning product quality and satisfaction with great installation with the company today.  I know what my blinds cost per window.

With the information  given today what are your thoughts or suggestions? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Southernbee

Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for window shades in my den.

In the house we just sold we had plantation shutters made for each window.  I LOVED them!  Blocked light, adjusted light, easy to keep clean.

When we moved to where we are, there weren't any available to be made by anyone and we had really bad sun issues so we opted for fabric shades you pull down (you can also get them with a double shade).... so you can have a lighter blocking and a heavier blocking or a combo of each.  They also make them to pull from the top down OR from the bottom up.  Very versatile, relatively easy to keep clean (vacuum) and I've been relatively happy with them.

I say relatively because the "clutches" broke on about half of them the first year or two we had them.  Still under warranty and were replaced.

I'd still rather have the plantation shutters but these have worked blocking the sun very well.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

My windows are about the same size as yours and I have two street lights out front. I have honeycomb cellular shades that can be raised and lowered from top and bottom.  I love them  They insulate from heat in the summer and cold in the winter.  Have four windows - two in kitchen and two in bedroom - and was able to match colors to that on the walls. 

Here is a website to Blinds.com, but I bought them from a local business. 

Honored Contributor

@Q4u: I appreciate your help and information. I had so many questions and forgot to ask about how to clean or easy to clean. Have a Blessed weekend, Southernbee 

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom: I appreciate your help and information. I forgot about insulate for summer and winter.The den can be colder in the winter. I selected the roller type black out shade with a textured design to blend with the wall color. The two local companies : Budget Blinds and Blind Factory. I know I can do a lot of research and read reviews. Really makes a difference when people " that have been there and done that " share their experiences.

Respected Contributor

Love plantation shutters...good investment for your home and for you!  They're expensive but you can't beat the functionality and ease of cleaning and they look so nice.

Contributor

I was having the same problem with lights. The community put up spot lights which shine right in my bedroom. I have blinds but never close them. I finally tipped the top part of the blinds then I got a sleep mask. I tried a couple before I found a comfortable one. Now I sleep like a baby. Ahhh no more light. Didn't think I would be able to keep it on but, I just gave one a try.  About $5 at TJMaxx.   No fun waking up to all that light all night long. I feel for you.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2: I am glad that you love your plantation shutters. I really need to keep my blinds and provide extra coverage with shades. I wanted more information about shades. I also wanted to make sure the information provided was correct and that I given a great price.

Honored Contributor

@Pa2Fl: Thank you and I appreciate your help. The sleeping mask would be a wonderful and inexpensive solution but that is not for me. Strange but when I tried the mask it made me uncomfortable and I seemed to have trouble breathing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have some similar to these and they are the best type of window covering I've ever owned. Helps block light and cold or hot temperatures. Love how they are so versatile...up or down. I love them! They are called "top down bottom up" shades and they come in different styles and fabrics , thermal or not, uv-protected. Hunter Douglas makes motorized ones. Look at video on YouTube: "Motorized Hunter Douglas Top Down Bottom Up..."

blinds.jpg