Honored Contributor

OK, I have a question if you all don't mind.

I'm painting my kitchen cabinets. I painted them golden oak. For some reason they started showing white streaks after I had repainted them all. I suspect the contractor put in some cheap cabinets. After they started streaking white lines I bought a darker varnish stain and last night painted some lower cabinets in the stain 'Provincial' instead of Golden Oak to cover better. 

I'm thinking the new color is prettier and match my black quartz countertops better. Would like different opinions, please. Be honest you won't hurt my feelings. Would you choose the lighter or darker shade?

l

Lighter oak color

Respected Contributor

I like the darker color, but at this point I also think it's a moot point.  Since you've already stained them darker you can't go back and make them light again unless you sand them all down.  And then they won't match the other side.  So I would just keep doing what you're doing.

Esteemed Contributor

I love the darker color!  Wow--looks like you're working hard!  Maybe some new hardware?  When you're done, my cabinets could use a facelift!!

Honored Contributor

No, only did those by the dishwasher so far, the above the sink real light ones are what they are now.

that one picture took to dark of the long link of cabinets. Night lights are deceiving.

Honored Contributor

I cut out that one picture. 

choice is light or dark

Honored Contributor

Yikes ! do you know how many cabinets this kitchen has ? I already painted half the kitchen the golden oak shade the contractor painted, now, if I choose the darker shade I will have to redo ALL the cabinets in there.

Ye gads !

Trusted Contributor

@SharkE: I like the darker cabinets much better, & look better with the countertops as well.

Honored Contributor

No , hun, I paid 250,000 for this home LOL and separte for the acreage.

I used to live in a mobile home when we were young, but, built one, now, we moved to Tx and built this one.

I could hire it out, but, don't want men in the house , etc. Do it myself over time.

Respected Contributor

Ooooo, love the darker stain ! Pretty !

Honored Contributor

My sister told me she'd seen that in magazines where folks have dark on the bottom and lighter at the top, but, I don't know if I could live with that

LOL