Honored Contributor

@qualitygal ...what is getting dumped on the table?  That may make a difference on advice peope give you.

Only two in our house...husband and me....I am a neat nick, so honestly this is not a problem for me and dh has been trained well.

He does have a basket on the countertop, small one near the end of the countertop....he puts his wallet in there as well as other small things that belong only to him, papers, glasses, etc.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have the same problem with the dresser and nightstand on DH's side of the bedroom. He has such a "litter" problem. Both surfaces were always covered with little pieces of paper, magazines, anything he thought he needed to save. So we got him two baskets, one for his dresser and one for his nightstand. Well, now both baskets are brimming over and the furniture surfaces are filled with litter. You can't win!

Honored Contributor

Re: Need mastermind help...

[ Edited ]

I'm gonna sound harsh, but put your foot down with others in the house, and lead by example. Sounds simple (but isn't) and is the only thing I can think of that works). 

When I have a similar issue, people in the house always dumping things where they don't belong, I only nag so long, then I throw their things away. Period. 

I warn them that it will lead to that. It does cause strife. But honestly, I have a ton to do every day, and I'm not picking up after people, just because they won't put things where they belong. A place for everything, and everything in it's place. If something is truly important to them (their school book the mail, important papers, keys whatever) they will take care to keep them safe and organized.

I truly believe it is just laziness. It's easier to just dump and hope someone else will deal with it. 

Honored Contributor

When I was growing up, a corner of the table held mail and other paperwork. If you have room, I'd suggest getting a small desk if you want to keep the table free of accumulation.

Honored Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

Divorce worked for me.

@Jasmine19   LOL!!! Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  Get a cat that likes to knock things off of any flat surface! I have one...because of him, I can't keep anything--not even a centerpiece--on my dining room table, or my coffee table. Seriously, if we are going to use the dining room, I have to shut him in the bedroom so I can clean and set the table!

Trusted Contributor

This is my dining room table....following...

Honored Contributor
I bought a pretty tray that is aluminum and sits in the middle of the table. If it doesn’t fit on the tray, it can’t go there.
Respected Contributor

Re: Need mastermind help...

[ Edited ]

image.jpeghttps://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RYcAAOSw~91bmjBe/s-l300.jpgI was thinking about a divided lazy Susan but it might not be big enough. And trays.