Honored Contributor

Well, I need some suggestions, in case you've been through this, how do you, stop a table from becomming a dumping or dropping ground in your home.  I don't want to get crazy about it, but it's beginning to bother me probably more than it should.  It is in the only area that it can go in this house and we use it to eat off of at holiday time.  So I do need to keep it.  In other words I need help, breaking this habit for both of us.  Have you solved this in your home, if so, how?  

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  If this is a dining table that is only used for holidays, and you want to keep others from dumping everything on it, then keep the table set so that it is ready for you to sit down and eat.  It doesn't need to be your good china, just needs to look nice, even if you just get a pretty but cheap set of dishes for that table during the rest of the year.  I have a centerpeice and placemats on mine so that no one puts anything on it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I don’t know, but we have the same problem. I’ll be eager to hear suggestions. 

Respected Contributor

How about a basket on the table to begin with.  Once it is full, you have to put things away.  Then decrease the size of the container on the table.  Practice makes perfect.

Respected Contributor

That's where we drop off our mail and the Sunday papers. I would love to have it completely clean, but then the mail and papers would be elsewhere. 

We do a regular review, toss, keep, recycle.....  but since we rarely use that table,  that is the spot for those things.  I'd rather they were there than in my kitchen or elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

Someone metioned using placements...

Well, I did the placemats... and you know, my husband still keeps putting stuff

on that table- but now there’s a small thing here, a small thing there - on the placemats!

I can’t win. I am like “hello???, issss there not anywhere else in this house to put this stuff???”.

Oh I am so buying a basket like someone said and see if that works!!

A basket is far better looking than small piles of whatever! Then again, my basket plan could backfire and he will still put his piles around the basket or put something stupid in the basket like his koozies or something! 

I will try a basket though...

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

Start with beautiful baskets: one designated “ Mail “, another “ DH- Save for Later “, another “ MY- Later”, another “ Recycle “ etc.  Have them deep enough that they don’t present clutter to the eye as you pass by.

Once weekly or bi-weekly, empty them.  Eventually, move the Mail one to where it makes more sense: His and Her smaller baskets on/near the work desk area.

The remaining table baskets could go under the table.  

Another idea: Find a large Baker’s Rack that fits your style of furniture and fill with matching bins or baskets identified as to purpose.  They could present as a solid “ wall “.  Since the racks have lower shelves, you could move the bins to the lower shelf when company comes so you have additional serving or bar space.

Have a rule: if it is not in a bin or basket, it gets tossed or hidden elsewhere !

Keeping a table set will attract dust...a beautiful table cloth with a tall or large centerpiece will be easier to keep clean and clear of clutter.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I'm thinking a basket on the way to the basement, will be my best bet.  I need to find a pretty one for the top of the stairs to downstairs.  I did tell Mr. what I'm planning to do since when it got mentioned before was long forgotten.  Like I don't forget or do it too, but....... LOL

Honored Contributor

A very drastic temporary solution might be to "store" the table until your next holiday.  No table, no where to put your "stuff".  The habit might be broken by then.

I know, I know kind of a nutty idea.  But hey!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  That thought crossed my mind, but size, weight, can't do, thanks.