Valued Contributor

Need help with plumbing issues please

Yesterday, with no warning signs, I started developing clogging issues with my kitchen sink.There were some other weird things that happened, both upstairs and down (for instance, gurgling noises from the empty washer as I rinsed out a milk jug in the kitchen), but the only drains actually stopped up are the two kitchen ones. I have already called my plumber who unfortunately is not available because he's going on vacation, but he thought my problem is a clogged main drain.

Anyway, as soon as they open tomorrow morning, I'll be calling another plumber to hopefully fix this. Meanwhile, I can't use the washer for my clothes or use the sink to wash dishes or my hair (can only wash hair in the kithcen sink--no other place to do it). Unfortunately, even after things are fixed, it may still be a while before I can wash dishes or my hair because I will need to disinfect the kitchen sink--which is why I came on here. You see, I believe feces (ick!) backed up into the sink after flushing the upstairs toilet because there were some strange looking gunk in the sink when I came back down that wasn't there before! That sickens me to think that that could have happened. I would like to ask for recommendations on how to thoroughly clean the sinks out so I can be sure they are clean enough (disinfected enough) to do dishes in, as well as my hair. Would really appreciate suggestions. Thanks. 

(This has been a great week--a few days before this, one of my teeth broke off, and, of course, can't get in to see a dentist. As they say, when it rains, it pours.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Need help with plumbing issues please

Clorox is the best disinfectant for household use.  They even use it in the medical clinic where my doctor practices.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Try RidX.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Clorox is the best disinfectant for household use.  They even use it in the medical clinic where my doctor practices.

------------

I agree with @Kachina624   Chlorox.  Fill the sink up with warm water to almost the top and add about a cup of bleach to it and let it sit for an hour.  When it's time to drain it will disinfect the pipes on the way down.  Wait about another hour then run hot water for a few minutes to get all the chlorox residue washed away from the sink and the pipes.

My sis had that problem once and that's what her plumber told her to do and it seemed to work.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper    Do you have a septic system?  If so, you may want to call someone to pump the septic and inspect.  It sounds similar to something that I went through, and for here that was the issue 

For disinfection I always would use clorox, unless there is some surface you have that you think will not react well to it.

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

Yesterday, with no warning signs, I started developing clogging issues with my kitchen sink.There were some other weird things that happened, both upstairs and down (for instance, gurgling noises from the empty washer as I rinsed out a milk jug in the kitchen), but the only drains actually stopped up are the two kitchen ones. I have already called my plumber who unfortunately is not available because he's going on vacation, but he thought my problem is a clogged main drain.

Anyway, as soon as they open tomorrow morning, I'll be calling another plumber to hopefully fix this. Meanwhile, I can't use the washer for my clothes or use the sink to wash dishes or my hair (can only wash hair in the kithcen sink--no other place to do it). Unfortunately, even after things are fixed, it may still be a while before I can wash dishes or my hair because I will need to disinfect the kitchen sink--which is why I came on here. You see, I believe feces (ick!) backed up into the sink after flushing the upstairs toilet because there were some strange looking gunk in the sink when I came back down that wasn't there before! That sickens me to think that that could have happened. I would like to ask for recommendations on how to thoroughly clean the sinks out so I can be sure they are clean enough (disinfected enough) to do dishes in, as well as my hair. Would really appreciate suggestions. Thanks. 

(This has been a great week--a few days before this, one of my teeth broke off, and, of course, can't get in to see a dentist. As they say, when it rains, it pours.)

ugh feel for you,

just use bleach to clean the sink and hot water will be fine.

Honored Contributor

You may get a faster plumber by looking at Angie's List in your area if you have one.

Valued Contributor

Spoiler

Oh boy and here I thought  a post from last week took the cake..

First off do you have septic or city sewer, as if its septic , you may need to have the tank pumped out, if its city sewer, you could have tree roots clogging the pipes, which can be costly to you.

Does the icky stuff as you called it stink like poo?

If so, its coming from the bathroom area.

As for your question, go get a few gallons of Bleach and open the windows, so as your next phone call won't be to 911, from fumes/

Is there an Aspen Dental by you, they take walk-ins.

Valued Contributor

Sorry, didn't see your answer about septic, same as mine...

Honored Contributor

whenever this has happened to us, it is the septic tank that is full and needs to be emptied. we do also use RID X monthly to help with the breakdown. if you do have a septic tank make sure you keep a note as to when you had it emptied and try not to wait this long the next time if that is the issue.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein