Honored Contributor

Need help making a scrapbook

For starters, I'm not creative and have no scrapbooking supplies. I wanted to make a simple scrapbook containing about forty pictures, so I found a book, along with matching page inserts and thought that might be all I need. A friend took a look at what I was going to get, and said that in her opinion, that wasn't nearly enough to make a good scrapbook (by the way, she is very involved in scrapbooking). At this point, I'm just looking for some easy ideas; I've even thought about paying someone to create the book for me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need help making a scrapbook

The craft stores have aisles and aisles of stickers and embellishments. Cutting the pictures and putting borders around them are a nice touch too.

I'm not a scrapbooker at all. My daughter had to make one for theology class, and this is what we did. It turned out really nice.

Honored Contributor

You might also post this on the QVC Scrapbooking forum. Lots of good help over there!

Frequent Contributor

Don't listen to her. Do what you want. I am very involved in scrapbooking but not what is referred to as a ""scrapbook snob"". do what you want. Make it simple. Just get those memories recorded. That is all you need to do. I know people who take a couple hours to decide on a page. And God bless them but not everyone has to do that.

There are many great kits out there that have some nice things included. It sounds like that might be what you have found. USE IT! And be happy. It isn't a competition at all. It is YOU recording YOUR memories and if it doesn't make your friend happy - THAT IS HER PROBLEM!!!!

Contributor

I know you said you already have a scrapbook but how about getting a scrapboking kit which comes with stickers, diecuts, embellishments, etc. You'll have all that you need in one kit. They have them at Michaels and with a 40 or 50 % coupon and the price becomes pretty reasonable. I also agree with memyselfandi. There's no wrong or right to scrapbook. Have fun scrapboking and go at your own pace.
Honored Contributor

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgwNL7-DWhY

Check out you tube videos on Scrapbooking for beginners. You can purchase all types of stuff or you can use simple things around the house to ""decorate"" your pages. Don't make it hard on you ... make it fun.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

I am also not a scrapbooker. However, when I make a album I usually will put a pretty but subtle paper in the background - then place my pictures where I want them to be - I do place some at angles etc - but I rarely only use one pic per page but 3 or 4 instead - then I use a nice marker and write a simple caption on them - some times I narrate a whole album that has a theme , like each of our dog's has her own album - and I just kinda tell the story about her from page to page. So they start when she was a pup and go until she is an old dog - telling about her life. Rare occasion I may add an embellishment but that is way more creative than I usually am - so mostly just picture and writing. I do try to be clever and interesting. Not just "Daisy at the park" but "daisy enjoyed chasing the squirrels at South park yesterday. They were probably happy when we went home."

Honored Contributor

Thank you all so much. I watched some of the tutorials that Preds mentioned, and I will go to the craft store and get some supplies. I'm from the era where you used those little triangular things to hold the photos in place, so I hope I don't make a mess trying to get the pictures to stick to the page.

Trusted Contributor

I have been a scrapbooker since high school...I was class historian for 3 years....and my advice is, do what you want! There are so many ideas online and in most craft stores...Michaels is the best IMHO for supplies. Have fun with it!
Valued Contributor

I know about the little triangle corner bits, they are used in the old album my Folks had. I say do what YOU want to do. I prefer the old fashioned simple look myself.

Enjoy and have fun with your new hobby!

CAT