Super Contributor

I need to purchase a new mattress now. Was setting up 2nd bedroom for DH who needs his own room during the day. We were planning this when COVID hit. 

Probably a dumb question, but do you think it's safe to bring a mattress into the house?

Esteemed Contributor

Yes. I would think so. Just as you should wash your hands. You can spray it with Lysol to disenfect it. I mean I spritz my mattress with Fabreeze Fabric spray and it's fine. Boy who knew we would have to worry about such things. Take care. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes I believe you are safe if you have a company that will deliver to where you live.   I imagine that the drivers would have gloves and a mask on.

If you buy a regular mattress they are in plastic in the truck which is thrown away after it enters your home.   You can determine when and where you want them to take the plastic off.

If you opt for the bed in a box mattress, leave the box unopened for 24 hours.

Honored Contributor

If I needed a mattress, I'd get one. We can make appointments at one of the mattress stores. Mattresses are wrapped in plastic which is removed once it is delivered.

Esteemed Contributor

@WildDunes  I certainly believe a mattress purchase would be safe.  May I suggest a Casper mattress?    When we moved into our condo a little over a year ago we purchased one.  It is made in the USA, came compressed in a box totally wrapped in plastic.  It is the best mattress I've ever slept on.   I am sure mattresses were packaged and sealed months ago, I would do as another poster stated, just wait a bit before you open the box, just from being handled for delivery.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

Mattresses are so well wrapped, I wouldn't think twice about buying one.  I especially like the "mattress in a box" memory foam mattresses.  Even hospitals use the same mattresses over and over for different patients.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I second the idea of a Casper mattress. We got one last Fall and it is the best mattress we have ever slept on.  SO easy too, it is delivered and you easily set it up yourself.  HTH

Super Contributor

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. So much appreciated. I will check out Casper mattresses.