Honored Contributor

I posted part of this story on @jeanlake 's Bohemian thread and I promised her an update.Cat Happy

As many of you know, there are lots of people doing eLearning from home because of Covid.  My BF has a job as a (writing) contractor, and by May the company announced that no one (nor employees nor contractors) would be returning to the building until at least January of 2021.  He claimed the barstools in the kitchen as his workspace (mostly to be near the snacks).

We live in a 3BR townhome, on two finished levels with an unfinished basement.  The main floor is open concept, with the kitchen, living room and dining room as one big room.  The second floor houses the bedrooms and bathrooms.  One of the bedrooms is used as an office/sewing room, but it's a 9x9 space with a desk (sewing machine), a vanity/bench (serger) and a loveseat.  There are lots of things that the cats shouldn't get into, like pins, threads, and yarn, so we keep the door shut when we are not in that room.  We would take turns going upstairs to have privacy for meetings and video calls, but the AC doesn't travel well to that space, and it's probably 20 degrees warmer than the main floor.  

In the Spring, I worked from the sofa, which was fine, because I could go upstairs for meetings.  Now that we are going to "live" teaching, I have four hours of live teaching plus another three hours of clubs/meetings/collaborative planning.  I can't really work from my sofa and host classes, so we have a temporary solution for the first semester.

I saw this piece at an antique store nearby, and thought I could bring it to school as a companion piece to my desk, with a bit of storage.  It has been in my dining room since the shutdown, as we were directed to bring all materials home since they were going to rip out the flooring in the classrooms.

I decided to make lemonade out of lemons, so now it functions as my "broadcast studio."  Here it is, turned around, so that I can store pens/papers in the shelves and drawers.    Some of you might remember my makeover of my Goodwill lamp, seen on the right. I brought it home because I was concerned about it getting damaged in construction.  I also brought home my bungee chair from the Container Store.

When @jeanlake  asked about Bohemian decor, I went to my Pinterest board to pull up some photos that I had saved, and was reminded about a little aqua turtle footstool that I had tagged from Etsy.  When I checked, it was no longer available, but after much careful searching, I did find something comparable.

I haven't decided if I will change the fabric or not, but he's pretty cute.  He just arrived today, so now I'm excited to put my feet up and stretch them out during the long days seated on a video call.  

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono  I adore that blue cabinet! I have a blue end table/nightstand, a pale seaglass/blue wardrobe with green crystal knobs, and a pale blue/teal buffet(?) with scroll glass doors and matching blue/teal porcelain knobs. I mix blues/seaglass/some green with gray & ivory throughout my house.

Your cabinet was a terrific find, and your wonderful teaching setting is a great positive for you and your students.

Honored Contributor

Seconding @Desert Lily on your charming cabinet, @lolakimono ,  and I love your little turtle-- what a cutie!

They, and your lamp, seem very consistent with your overall style, as far as I can perceive it-- colorful, boho, "happy".  Your snoozing kitty fits in perfectly!

Esteemed Contributor

Looks like kitty is underwhelmed.  Too cute.

Honored Contributor

The cabinet is lovely and a good idea for a practical use!  Everything is nice and it shows when we put our minds to it, we can make change and  be our own decorators!  I worked in an urban school system as a counselor and I had a small room .  The only thing I could do was to decorate my bulletin board and I did.  People who came in the room always commented on my pictures, sayings, art work from kids.  While the room was drab the bulletin board gave it life!

You have made a comfortable work place and having a positive environment does help when it comes to work!!!!

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono 

Thank you for providing the link!

You have done it again! What a perfect niche to teach school from home! I love it and everything about it!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~