Super Contributor

Mouse in the house!

[ Edited ]

I have a mouse/mice in my house.  I've only seen the evidence in my basement.  I have no idea where they are getting in; it could be anywhere.  I have no experience with an exterminator, but I know I need one.  What do exterminators do for a mouse/mice problem if you can't find the entryway?    TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

DH puts bait boxes with 2 different poisons in the crawlspace and garage every fall. 

Honored Contributor

@seaswirl   I had to use an exterminator a few years ago.  He put poison bait boxes in both bathroom cabinets and kitchen cabinet and in the air return vent.  He also happened to find the entry in the bathroom cabinet and filled it.  You must find the entry point and fill it.  Caulk doesn't stop them from coming in.  Steel wool and copper mesh work.

Just recently I saw a mouse in my house and looked, and the hole that the exterminator had filled with caulk had been chewed through.  I had a handyman here for something else and had him fill the hole with steel wool.  I haven't seen evidence of one since then.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

Try an ultrasonic pest repellent.  We had several mice tried mouse traps, did not work,  bought the ultrasonic & no more mice.

Respected Contributor

@Jrzgirl wrote:

Try an ultrasonic pest repellent.  We had several mice tried mouse traps, did not work,  bought the ultrasonic & no more mice.

Just make sure that you Do Not use an ultrasonic pet repellent if you have any pet rodents such as hamsters, mice, gerbils, guinea pigs or pet rats in your house.

Those machines are very harmful to them.

Esteemed Contributor

@seaswirl wrote:

I have a mouse/mice in my house.  I've only seen the evidence in my basement.  I have no idea where they are getting in; it could be anywhere.  I have no experience with an exterminator, but I know I need one.  What do exterminators do for a mouse/mice problem if you can't find the entryway?    TIA.

@seaswirl 

First..lol..don't panic like i did.lol  66 yrs here and never a mouse untill just recently.

The exterminator will put small packets of poison around and they will take it to their nest eat it and die. Just be careful your pets don't get it.I was lucky my dog never went into my basement!

You may find a body ,I only found 1 body.

He should be able to tell where they are comming from.Mine did. My plumber must have let it in when he roto rooted my main drain.

Look around outside and patch up any openigs you find!

Good Luck to you and stay calm!!

Honored Contributor

Just to add to my above post:  I would have never been able to find where mine were coming in.  It was a teeny tiny opening beside the pipe under my bathroom sink.  The exterminator found it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I 2nd the ultrasonic plug in.  I got a set from Amazon and a set from Walmart.com.

Have them plugged in every room. I'm such a big baby when it comes to mice.

We live out in the country with all kind of critters, but thankfully I've never had a huge problem with mice getting in the house, although once is enough.  I hope I don't jinx myself by saying I haven't seen a mouse since I've had the plug ins.  I've had mine at least 3 yrs.

Whichever way you use to get rid of the mouse....Good Luck.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

And yet if you read the reviews on the ultrasonic plug-ins they are for the most part negative and claim it's a bunch of bull. I've been researching because I'm at war with mice in my shed. So far the mice are winning although the poop count is way down... but I'm not giving up.

Right now I have 4 traps set up in there, 2 have peanut butter in them, 1 has some mouse attractant stuff and 1 has a piece of cheese. Little buggers must have figured out they are killing machines. 

Also have a bunch of perfumy dryer sheets spread around as well as use a spray that has oils in (smells pepperminty) I use about once a week. 

Just letting you know you are not alone.

When I had one in the cellar I used the TomCat traps that you can't see the body. You set a lever and when it springs to the "mouse caught" stamped print.....BINGO. I did see a bit of the tail hanging out though. 

Honored Contributor

we have an exterminator that comes monthly.

he takes care of it all, including other pests like spiders, ants, crickets, etc... he works both inside and outside of the house.

for mice, he uses bait traps and he also uses these blue rectangular nuggets that he puts in the drop ceiling in our basement.

have not heard a mouse yet this year.....thank goodness!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein