Regular Contributor

I am having a house built and some of my appliances don't match.  I picked my fridge/freezer and oven to match but my dishwasher, wet bar fridge and trash compactor are all different.  Same stainless steel look but i really don't think it's important to match appliances just the color.

Respected Contributor

As my appliances died over the years of course I had to replace them. When I replaced the first one, which was the microwave, I opted for the Sharp which does not have a handle to open so it sort of blended in with the other appliances. Then I replaced the stove and I just went with the one that had the features I wanted. It does not match the refrigerator or dishwasher. Now I need a new dishwasher. I am going to get a Bosch. All the appliances do not match exactly, though they are all stainless steel. I thought this would really bother me, looks wise. Surprise.....it is not at all noticeable. All I see is stainless when I look, not each individual appliance.

Respected Contributor

I have all GE appliances, but they don't match. The dishwasher and stove are both the ivory type color with black and I rarely use either and they are about 28 years old. 2 years or so ago, I had to buy a new micro wave and it's black stainless. This past summer, my 25 year old Kenmore fridge bit the big one and I replaced it with a slate black stainless GE. The only issue I have with that is there is no light in the freezer. I think they only put them in pricier models now, though this was not a cheap purchase. Anyhow, nope it doesn't bother me that they don't match. I'm not sure there's much that matches in my house.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden We must have had the same friend.  Anything I showed her, told her about, commented on was met with some sort of snark or back handed compliment. 

I too ended that 40 year friendship.

My fridge is black and my oven is white.  When the oven gives out, I'll get black.  I would like them to match, but can't justify getting rid of it just for the color.

Respected Contributor

I have under 5 years old kitchen appliances, all bought within a year or two of each other so they could have matched. A french door Samsung refrigerator, GE stove & microwave and Bosch dishwasher all purchased because of their features.  It's like the United Nations in there.

Respected Contributor

Ordinarily, things like that would bother me until my GE dishwasher died and I wanted to replace my GE Cooktop.  Replaced both with Kitchenaid appliances and couldn't be happier.  BTW, I don't notice the difference between the 2 brands. 

Respected Contributor

No, matching appliances is low on my list of things that bother me. 

We live in a 1890's farm house.  We replaced the stove when we moved in. It is a reconditioned 1910 Glenwood cast iron and chrome behemoth. It takes up a whole wall in the kitchen. Our DW is black, the refrigerator is white, small appliances are SS. It works for me and I never worry about resale. You get what you like while living in your home and what makes you happy.

Honored Contributor

Re: Matching appliances

[ Edited ]

As I think about this, I don't think we've ever had all appliances by the same brand name. We/I buy based on my needs first, looks, next. Of course price plays a big part but I do not go to spend the most money, not everything at the top of the price point has what I look for and need in how my appliances work for me.

Respected Contributor

Up until a few months ago, I'd always had white appliances--but they were all different brands. Looked fine to me. Then my stove died and the only one available for immediate delivery was stainless steel. To get a white one would have taken a month (or more) and cost $500 more! So I got the stainless and, honestly, I'm surprised at how much it "doesn't" bother me! I like the stove a lot, it's a fairly basic model which is all I need.

Just as an aside, all my small appliances are black, so I think that helps the stove blend in.

Regular Contributor

So true!  We had white appliances up until 3 years ago when I accidentally killed the microwave. So we replaced it with white because that is what we had. Then a few months later, my husband cracked our stovetop. At that point, I wanted to switch to gas so we got an LG gas stove in stainless and a new fridge also in stainless. My microwave and dishwasher are still white. I too, will not replace them unless necessary just for color. I don't care what people think.