Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

I  think Luminara has expanded into too many retailers now (QVC, gift shops, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Hobby Lobby, Kohls and their own website etc) and I think with that epansion their quality declined  too......but they are just too expensive not too last.   However, I will say this, sometimes it's the battery.....  I bought a new pack of Duracell batteries before Christmas (thought I'd need them for all the hours my Luminaras are on during the Christmas seeason)  They been in their package and were supposed to be good through 2025.....when I opened the package a couple of the batteries had leaked!!!   I  tried other batteries in thee package that had no signs of  leakage but they didnt work, so I returned them back to my grocery store and they allowed me to exchange it a get a new package....these worked fine and my candles worked fine..If your candles dont work, purchase a new package and see if the batteries are the problem......So I think its a double whammy both with a decline in quality both with Luminara and with Duracell...

Batteries are getting less well made all the time. I used to never have a battery leak, and now, about half of them do.

A good little battery tester is a good investment. It helps you know for sure if your item is bad or just a bad batch of batteries.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Luminara life span

[ Edited ]

Update:

No word from my note sent via the Luminara website. 

Not much to be done other than live with those candles I have and not buy anymore.  DH has multiple battery testers and, we always check. 

It has never been the batteries.

I realize that things don't last "forever" but really, I expect more than 2 years of use from these candles.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman, Very disappointing, and I agree, these expensive candles should be lasting much longer than 2 years. 

I can no longer keep count of the number of websites that no longer respond to emails I've sent.  I suppose they've all abandoned their email accounts and only check Facebook.  It's really annoying to me.  :-(

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that two years is too short a lifespan for these candles. I started buying Luminara in 2012 or 13. They are all still working. Every once in a while, the battery cover becomes loose on a candle, and then we have to tape it shut in order for the batteries to make their connection. You might try Mirage candles. They are not quite as flickery as Luminara, but they are MUCH less expensive.